turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On my military W2 the address for me is a series of letters and numbers instead of an address. What do I put in under the W2 section for city, state, and zip code since there isn’t one listed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

On my military W2 the address for me is a series of letters and numbers instead of an address. What do I put in under the W2 section for city, state, and zip code since there isn’t one listed?

On your W-2, try choosing the option of Address Type of "Military (APO, FPO, or DPO)", and see if the boxes change to what you need. The Address Type defaults to U.S. Address unless you change it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

We actually looked up a little more info and the numbers/letters seem to be the finance office’s code that the pay is processed through. 

But even changing it to APO requires a city/state/zip. Will it be a problem if I just plug in our normal address? Or do we need to correct it through the military first? 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Oh, good. Yes, just enter your normal address. Actually, the address that you enter on the W-2 isn't particularly important since the W-2 is tied to your Social Security number.

It is the address on your Personal Info or My Info that is important. This needs to be the address the IRS can reach at you at in case they need to mail you some communication.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Intuit refuses to let me submit my taxes because AE isn't a state.  But when I upload my W-2 its ok with it being an FPO and everything but when it goes through the review segment it gets fixated on the AE isn't a State.  How do I bypass this endless cycle of "AE isn't a State"?

Permission granted to just enter any stateside address on the W-2 input screen because IT DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL.  

On the W-2 you entered for the employer's address did you change the Type of Address dropdown to APO, FPO or DPO?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies