turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) stimulus payment thread

Yes, you'll gt the $1200 next year.

"In essence, [receiving] the stimulus check acts as an advance of your 2020 income tax refund. This means when you prepare your 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit. The credit on your 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020. If the amount you received as a stimulus check is less than the credit you are due, the difference will be included as part of your 2020 refund. If you have been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, you will not be required to return any excess amount".

Reference: https://www.dailylocal.com/news/coronavirus/what-does-the-stimulus-check-mean-for-your-taxes/article...

I started my taxes with Turbotax.  Got to the end and they wanted money to file the state.  I went to a service that actually files for free.  I filed.  I didn't make enough to get a refund and did not get to input my DD info.  Then, days later, I see Turbo Tax has a place to submit your DD info to the IRS. All I want to do is submit my DD information for the stimulus.  It says "You can’t submit both a stimulus registration and a full tax return."  To confirm, I can or I can not use the "minimal tax return" option on Turbo Tax to submit my DD info? Any help would be appreciated. 

@HuntingtonROB wrote:

I started my taxes with Turbotax.  Got to the end and they wanted money to file the state.  I went to a service that actually files for free.  I filed.  I didn't make enough to get a refund and did not get to input my DD info.  Then, days later, I see Turbo Tax has a place to submit your DD info to the IRS. All I want to do is submit my DD information for the stimulus.  It says "You can’t submit both a stimulus registration and a full tax return."  To confirm, I can or I can not use the "minimal tax return" option on Turbo Tax to submit my DD info? Any help would be appreciated. 

If you filed a 2019 federal tax return, then you cannot use the Stimulus Registration since the IRS will reject the submission as they already have a tax return with your name and Social Security number accepted.

If you have filed a 2019 tax return and need to change or add your direct deposit information, see this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know
The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?
In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

JTH2017
Returning Member

I did the stimulus registration last night. Does this mean that Turbo Tax filed a tax return on my behalf? I have no taxable income for 2018 and 2019. I thought I was just simply registering and giving my DD info to the IRS as it says on the site. However there is a copy of 1040 in my account for 2019. Does this mean that going forward I have to answer on any paperworks that I have filed taxes for 2019 with gross income at $0? 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

No. Completing the stimulus registration is not comparable to filing a tax return. It simply registers your information with the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JTH2017
Returning Member

Thank you for your response but why is there a 1040 form filled out and submitted for me? I thought this is the simplified tax return form as per Google searches. 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you have to register for your Stimulus Check, please see our website:  TT Stimulus Website

OK FOLKS ... you were to complete a  "SIMPLE" return ONLY if you were NOT REQUIRED to file a 2019 return.   This was a quick & easy way to register for the stimulus check and a REAL RETURN was filed for you with ONLY your personal info, dependent info if you have any and the DD info if you have an account to use.  A simple $1 income return was filed to  allow you  to efile the information for the stimulus check ... once this has been accepted you do not need to do anything else.

BUT if you really DID  need to file a return then you have BIG troubles for NOT following the directions.  IF you still NEED to file a 2019 return you must now file an AMENDED RETURN in order to file the FULL return and you must start with the SIMPLE return to add all your information  and the amended return MUST be mailed in AND  it will take 4 months or more for the amended return to process and the refund MAILED to you as a paper check.  

EVERYONE  needs to slow down and READ the instructions that are given ....

stimulus filing 1.jpg

JTH2017
Returning Member

I did read the instructions and did the stimulus registration (the one for people not required to file 2019 taxes as I am not required to with zero income). However, NOWHERE did it say that it will file a "simple tax return" until I have submitted all of my information and I received a copy of a 1040 form. That is why I am confused and asking whether this form means that Turbo Tax has filed a tax return on my behalf when I completed the registration. I just wanted to know if this means I have filed taxes for 2019 as this information is important when dealing with student loans forbearance. 

Hi,

I filed my most recent taxes for year 2018 as married filing jointly.  Haven't done 2019 yet.

At the time I entered my bank info but did not enter any banking info for my stay at home unemployed wife.  Theoretically, am I to receive the sum of both of us in my bank account or do I need to somehow give my wife's current banking info to the irs in order for her to receive her stimulus payment?

Thanks...

Since you filed a joint 2018 return  the stimulus check  for both of you will be DD to the account from 2018 automatically.

HI Community, thank you for this thread, I just have a question for the stimulus payment: I am a student and has not been filing taxes for last few years (not required to), but I have filed taxes in the past. Does stimulus require me to file a 2019 (with no income), in order to receive the payment?

Thank you so much, and take care during this difficult times!

Best

If TT took fees from refund does the IRS have your banking information or does the IRS have turbo tax information?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The IRS would have your bank account information. It should appear on 21 of your form 1040 for 2019.

Thanks for replying to my question.  Honestly, it seems like it would have been so much easier  to just set up a website where we could just go and register our banking info, instead of all this confusion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies