Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kbl2018
Returning Member

Non-US citizen and non-resident - interest on US bank account

I am not a US citizen and will be leaving the US at the end of this year. If I leave money in a US savings account will I need to file a US tax return for 2021?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Leaving money in the account is not a tax issue ... needing to pay income tax on the earnings is the issue.  Depending on the amount it earns you may need to file a 1040NR.  TurboTax doesn't support that form ...

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/turbotax-news/turbotax-and-sprintax-now-make-filing-easier-for-non-...

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

kbl2018
Returning Member

Thanks - if it earns interest, do you know how much interest it needs to be to require filing a tax return?

kbl2018
Returning Member

OK so seems like I don't have to file a tax return for 2021 as I will be a non-resident alien (I will not be spending any time in the US in 2021) and my only income will be from US banks that is not a trade or business. Does that sound right to you?

Carl
Level 15

If possible before your departure from the U.S., I would suggest you find a tax pro you can establish a repore with before you leave that is familiar with non-resident tax filings. That way, if things change in the future and you are required to file a U.S. non-resident tax return, you have a point of contact. That tax pro can be either in the U.S. or in your home country.

Since TurboTax does not provide or support the 1040-NR for non-residents, you might also want to check out www.sprintax.com which is a website that specializes in 1040-NR non-resident tax returns. They even provide the ability for you to complete the 1040-NR online and e-file it. This website is the one recommended by TurboTax for non-resident tax filers. I personally know a few non-resident foreign exchange students who have used it in the past and give it a thumbs up.

The key is to educate yourself on this "before"you depart the U.S. Trying to learn the ins and outs from your home country can be difficult.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies