Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to get my stimulus check. Can’t file because IRS shutdown have a PIN number

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Need to get my stimulus check. Can’t file because IRS shutdown have a PIN number

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

To help everyone check on the status of their payments, the IRS is building a second new tool expected to be available for use by April 17. Get My Payment will provide people with the status of their payment, including the date their payment is scheduled to be deposited into their bank account or mailed to them.

An additional feature on Get My Payment will allow eligible people a chance to provide their bank account information so they can receive their payment more quickly rather than waiting for a paper check. This feature will be unavailable if the Economic Impact Payment has already been scheduled for delivery.

No I didn’t get an answer and I need my PIN number to do anything

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you have an IP-PIN and have lost or not received it, you can attempt to recover it from the IRS. Otherwise, you will need to mail in your return. 

You can find the IRS IP-PIN recovery site here. 

@apolk7446

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hey.. me as well!! No one seems to know the answer to this question! It's frustrating how and suppose to get a pin??!! They didn't send me one early in the mail like always.. The are shutdown there's no way to file update payment to get your money or even file!🤦 Somebody has to know!  Also can't retrieve it online without the student loan that doesn't work account and if  you make it past that you need a mobile number with a fancy company to get information @apolk7446 

Catiz57

hello I can't either they told me to fill out a 1040 form and put zero since I didn't work for the year or last year and submit it and hopefully that will take care of putting me back in the system I hope it works I'll let you know

Catiz57

Hello I called the IRS I was able to get through they said I needed to fill out a 1040 form with no money on it a zero balance or zero old sign it and dated and send it in from there I'm hoping that you're going to be my stimulus check because my PIN number was back from 2014 and it has to be current hope that helps

Catiz57

Hello when I was finally able to get through it was told to me that I need to fill out a 1040 form with the balance of zero taxes since I hadn't worked for the last 2 years and that it should put me back in the system and issue me a PIN number so I could be able to receive my stimulus check which I don't know how long that'll be and they don't know either so the first things first is to fill out a 1040 form for taxes and put whatever money you owed or whatever money you got back on there your tax information good luck I'll let you know if I get any kind of results from this stay safe

Catiz57

I forgot to tell you you're right you cannot get the pin number online whatsoever I have tried for days and days at a time you have to do the 1040 form you can download it from the irs.com and then you put down any information that they asked then you dated & it make sure you send it in and wait for an answer that's what I'm waiting for right now if I get one soon I'll let you know stay safe and good luck

@Catiz57 wrote:

I forgot to tell you you're right you cannot get the pin number online whatsoever I have tried for days and days at a time you have to do the 1040 form you can download it from the irs.com and then you put down any information that they asked then you dated & it make sure you send it in and wait for an answer that's what I'm waiting for right now if I get one soon I'll let you know stay safe and good luck

Just be aware that the IRS is not processing mailed returns at all currently until they re-open.

See this IRS article for current information.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

If you are trying to file a return and need an IP PIN because you are on the Identity  Protection List,

then your IRS person must have misunderstood what you want to do.

If you don't have the IP PIN, mail in your correct tax return on paper, not a fake return with zeros.

Note: paper returns are piling up at the IRS, and will be processed, presumably, in the order received.

when i filed my stimulus it wouldnt allow me to file because the irs is saying i need a pin

i was trying to file for my stimulus check.....i never reported fraud and i didnt file a tax return last year, i was trying to file a non filers return for stimulus and the irs is requesting a pin i never had....can i print the return and mail it in?

@staylor3872 wrote:

i was trying to file for my stimulus check.....i never reported fraud and i didnt file a tax return last year, i was trying to file a non filers return for stimulus and the irs is requesting a pin i never had....can i print the return and mail it in?

Yes.  No pin is required for a mailed return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies