Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My Turbotax 2019 for Mac no longer opens

@Dave204 wrote:

Hi Alex, 

I had the same problem - another user posted this earlier this year so I'm paying this forward to you: 

Follow this path and remove KSCrash/Turbotax: 

/<user>/Library/Caches/KSCrash/Turbotax'  

That did the trick for me!

Thank you, Dave!  I've had the "It looks like we hit a snag" pop-up since e-filing 2019 last spring...and even installing TurboTax for 2020 did not stop it from appearing every time I launched the new version of TT.  Uninstall/reinstall had no effect... but deleting /<user>/Library/Caches/KSCrash/Turbotax did it.  What a relief! 

Hoping that this issue doesn’t re-occur when attempting to file in 2020.

Unfortunately the problem is still happening with 2020!!

I will never understand why Intuit doesn’t correct this with an update.

I also just purchased a new Mac with the most current operating system.  

if you get the message "TurboTax cannot be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software" then that is caused by the Apple "Gatekeeper" introduced with OS X 10.15 (Catalina).

That has nothing to do with TurboTax and will happen for any application not purchased from the Apple Store.

See this Apple article on this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

And this TurboTax help article: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/turbotax-for-mac-won-t-open-when-installed/00...

For older Mac systems when TurboTax will not open.
See:

Be sure that System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> Allow apps downloaded from App Store and identified developers is checked.

Go to the Applications folder and select the TurboTax application in the Finder and right click with the mouse (or control click) ans select the top "open". That should force the first open. After that it should open normally.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899267-administrator-rights-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Ls23
Returning Member

After a year using an old Dell because I couldn't get my mac to work with Turbo Tax for the first time in several years, these instructions worked.  I first started having problems during the 2019 process (halfway if you can believe that).  I think it is important to mention that you should remove ALL prior year turbo tax files, not just 2019 or 2020.  I started by removing those years files and the mac still would not work.  But, finally removed all prior turbo tax (intuit) files and the software is now functioning!  Fingers crossed I don't run into any other problems.  

Did you remove all files and reinstall the software?

What about tax returns?

Ls23
Returning Member

Only the files mentioned in earlier posts.  But admittedly I keep my actual tax files on a thumb drive and not on any pc.

@Ls23 wrote:

Only the files mentioned in earlier posts.  But admittedly I keep my actual tax files on a thumb drive and not on any pc.

To uninstall ALL the files in this FAQ (plus the one I listed under it) must be deleted.

On addition, TurboTax might not be able to open a .tax file that is not installed on the main Mac hard drive.   The default location for .tax files is the Users Documents Folder.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac
Also if present remove: ~Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I've had a similar problem and got fed up with TT support. I contacted Intuit's Office of the President [phone number removed]) and while they did not solve my immediate problem, they gave me a voucher for next year's TT Premier for free. They have to know about these issues and how upset their user base is getting with half-baked software.

I admire you patience and optimism. I was one of the first of very many  to post about this bug last year. Intuit

is perfectly informed of the problem: numerous customers have spent an inordinate amount of time with their technical service and sometimes  Intuit people participate (ineffectively) in the online discussion.

If during almost a full  year they have not found the will or the knowledge to fix this bug, or at the very least to publicize ways around it, what makes you think that they will do  any better in the future?

I have used Turbotax and before it  MacInTax for more than 30 years, but I am calling it quits and this tax season I will switch to a different product.

Free software is useless if it doesn’t work!!!

This will be my last year with TT product if it isn’t fixed.  I found a way around last year and will probably do the same this year but it will be my last!!

How is this not a Turbotax problem?  It's an obvious bug.  Fix it.

100% agree!!

I absolutely agree. Even if some would want to blame Apple for this, the problem as I see it is poor error handling on the part of Intuit and TurboTax. This is especially true when you have cache files or plist files that either can't be easily identified and deleted, or are hidden files. This is just poor coding in my humble opinion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies