turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My Turbotax 2019 for Mac no longer opens

What are you trying to do online.   If you have the software installed on your computer you file from it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
heidigurley
Returning Member

I am trying to file the state.  I had the issue of paying for the state efile and it crashed.  I used the suggestions on here to get it back and unchecked state, filed federal, but still need to file state.  I would like to avoid having to mail the state in and would like to efile.  

The crash when paying for state is still being investigated and no fix as of now.

See:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-mac-desktop-2019-crashes-after-state-e-fi...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
heidigurley
Returning Member

So is mailing the state return the only option?

Unless you can get it to pay for the state without crashing with the workaround in that FAQ.

Thanks for sharing. I had the exact same experience today when trying to send my taxes. Purchased the audit defense, TT crashed, and now will not reopen on the computer originally installed (iMac) to save its life. I thought perhaps the computer had just blown a gasket as I was able to download and transfer the file to my MacBook, file successfully from there. TT18, 17, etc all on my iMac still will execute but 19 will not. Very frustrating to say the least. Does help to know I'm not the only one however so thanks again for sharing the quick capture of the messages you got.

@heidigurley

If you get to this payment page that shows you already paid for State E-file. Try to click the tiny Close button at bottom right and DO NOT click the big blue button.

PaymentScreen.png

You can call TT customer support make payment and receive code. You also need to delete one Crash file mentioned in my post earlier. 
you can then efile. Once it goes through successfully you can Efile additional returns normally. 

Macbar
Returning Member

I had the same issue the day of filing 7/15/2020 at 11:59pm with turbotax home and biz, I tried to contact customer support and its a very complicated process, where you have to call them.  Very easy to get a hold of sales or buy their products, but if you need help its difficult, you can't even leave a complaint, this is the only forum I see for that, not even sure they will read this.

I am very disappointed that this problem has been around for so long (months) and they haven't fixed it.  I have been using turbotax for 20+ years, I haven't had any problems like this but I will definitely be looking at their competitors for 2021.    Lucky I have a PC and it didn't have the same issue and I was able to efile 40 mins late, I hope I don't pay a late fee.

Macbar
Returning Member

mine crashed (kept churning had to restart mac) during paying state, which it did pay for per my credit card, however after that, the Mac version would not open after restarting and then reinstalling software.

Solution is to switch to PC and efile there , fed and state worked on PC.

This was the first year I used my Mac for turbotax, they obviously don't support Mac. as this issue has been around for months still with no fix. 

Macbar
Returning Member

didn't work

heidigurley
Returning Member

I ended up being able to go back in and submit my state taxes.  I guess the fix allowed me to continue on and since I had already paid for the efile, it continued on.  The issue now is that I wake up this morning and I received approval for the state submission, but it says that I needed to mail in my payment!  I put all of my bank account information in, so no sure why it is saying that????  Now it is a day late and I still can't get support!

Which state?  

It probably depends on which states can do automatic bank transfers for payments rather than refunds. See what the options are for your state. And, isf you saved the print version of your return as a PDF you can go look at that to see if the correct boxes were filled in. 

You can go back to Print your State tax if you need to save a PDF. Also, In the first couple pages there should be some kind of payment voucher you would put in an envelope with a check to mail. Don't need to print the whole tax return, just the page with the voucher. 

In California we can pay online using the Cal FTB website even if you already sent in a return.  Maybe you have something like that in your state.

I would feel safer paying online if you can. With so many tax offices shut down, who knows when they'd open your envelope and process the check. If you can pay online then you can see the transaction has completed and you have the bank transaction as proof too. 

Also, if the state does do direct payment from the E-file then the state should automatically do the bank transfer within a week or two. You could wait to see if it shows up on your bank withdrawals then, if not try the online payment.

zsoltaa

your contacts link is not funtional

This solution works....but doesn't really resolve the issue with TT.  I am betting this is a reflection of two things; OS operating system recommendations which many who use OS haven't jumped because of the inherent bugs associated with Mojave and the high likelihood they are lacking the staff talent to align code written for MS and not OS because this is a major mistake which could have been addressed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies