turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pratikpai
Returning Member

My son was born on 10/26/2019 in the US. However, return I filed using turbo tax just says $500 credit for other dependents and not child tax credit. Is that expected?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My son was born on 10/26/2019 in the US. However, return I filed using turbo tax just says $500 credit for other dependents and not child tax credit. Is that expected?

@pratikpai wrote:
Thanks for the detailed steps. I was able to validate all the info.

All the dependent information looks correct. I also have selected the whole year.

However, Looks like I have mistakenly checked the below option:
---- Social Security number is not valid for employment. This is not common but can be found on their Social Security card.

Maybe that's the reason?

I will have to wait for the rejection or file an amendment if it gets accepted?

Yes.  Since the child is under the age of 17 and assuming that all other information concerning your status and income is correct, then the child would be eligible for the Child Tax Credit and not the Other Dependent Tax Credit.

View solution in original post

YES ... that is the reason ... unless the SS card has that marked you made an error ... now you MUST wait for the return to either be rejected or fully processed ... do NOT do anything until then. 

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return.
How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

You can amend returns that have been accepted by the IRS. If your return is pending, you won't be able to make any changes until it's accepted or rejected by the IRS. If you don't know your e-file status, we can help you check it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Go back to My Info.  Edit the dependent and make sure that you selected he lived in your home for the Whole year.  Make sure that the birthday of the child is correct.

pratikpai
Returning Member

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did double check and ensure that both of the details were correct before submitting. I can't see the My Info now since I submitted it last night.

Is there any way now to check what went wrong?

@pratikpai wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did double check and ensure that both of the details were correct before submitting. I can't see the My Info now since I submitted it last night.

Is there any way now to check what went wrong?

Sign back onto your TurboTax online account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

On the Tax Home web page scroll down and click on Add a state.   This will take you back to the 2019 online tax return.  Click on My Info on the left side of the screen.  Edit you dependent and make sure the date of birth shows 2019.  If any information for the child is incorrect DO NOT change anything.  If you do not see anything wrong, the delete the dependent and re-enter.  But again DO NOT change anything now.

You will need to wait for the IRS to either reject or accept your tax return.  If the IRS rejects your return then and only then can you make changes and e-file the tax return again

If the IRS accepts the tax return then you will have to amend the tax return to enter the correct information.  

An amended tax, Form 1040X, return can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. Wait until you have received the tax refund or the taxes owed have been paid and processed by the IRS before amending the tax return.

pratikpai
Returning Member

All the dependent information looks correct. I also have selected the whole year.

---- Social Security number is not valid for employment. This is not common but can be found on their Social Security card.

Maybe that's the reason?

@pratikpai wrote:

Maybe that's the reason?

Yes.  Since the child is under the age of 17 and assuming that all other information concerning your status and income is correct, then the child would be eligible for the Child Tax Credit and not the Other Dependent Tax Credit.

YES ... that is the reason ... unless the SS card has that marked you made an error ... now you MUST wait for the return to either be rejected or fully processed ... do NOT do anything until then. 

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return.
How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

You can amend returns that have been accepted by the IRS. If your return is pending, you won't be able to make any changes until it's accepted or rejected by the IRS. If you don't know your e-file status, we can help you check it.

pratikpai
Returning Member

hah! Such a silly mistake. I wish it gets rejected. 😓

I appreciate your help and quick responses @DoninGA and @Critter. Thank you very much! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies