Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My ohio school district tax return was rejected with code oh-pit-068. When I reopen turbotax it doesn't show me what is wrong

That's what I had to do.

My ohio school district tax return was rejected with code oh-pit-068. When I reopen turbotax it doesn't show me what is wrong

CatinaT1 - This thread is about the PIT-068 error which apparently is associated with 1099-Rs.  I have likewise checked all the identification numbers at least 5 times and they are correct.  I am also wondering how my Ohio IT1040 was accepted (this contains the worksheet with 1099 payer info, State, State ID, etc.) but the SD100 continues to be rejected with the same error code.  The Fix It button has no instructions.  It goes to the Ohio summary and then back to Fix It. 

Thanks for posting that detailed message.  I am having exactly the same loop problem you are having.  I don't have any school tax withheld but do four estimated tax payments every year.  I filled this out the same way I have every other year but I am stuck in this same loop.  Either Turbo Tax has a glitch or Ohio changed something in the School District Tax form and didn't advise Turbo Tax of it.  Either way I wish Turbo Tax would advise if they are working on what appears to be a software problem on their end.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

@northerner86-- 

We would like to take a deeper dive into this message to assist you.  In order to do this, it would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2023" file that is experiencing this issue. You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools.

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools.
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent.
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number.
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.

Here are the instructions if you are using TurboTax CD/Download:

1. Click on Online in the top left menu of TurboTax CD/Download for Windows
  2. Select 'Send Tax File to Agent'
  3. Write down or send an image of your token number then place in this issue.
  4. We can then review your exact scenario for a solution.
  5. Please also tell us any states included in the return.

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hopefully having a diagnostic copy of a tax file will result in a solution to the loop issue and TT will be able to post "Fix my Return" instructions soon. I'm having the same issue with reject code OH-PIT-068. Both Federal and State returns were accepted and like everyone else I've checked my 1199R inputs and they are all correct. I've had 1099s and paid school district tax for almost a decade and this the first time it's been rejected  using TT. No guesses as to the cause of the problem, just waiting for further guidance. Have a good day. 

Token:  1188351.

Thank-you so much for looking into this further. 

Yes.  Like you, I have been filing this SD return along with Fed. and State for many years using Turbo Tax and this is the first time I have had this issue.  I couldn't find anything wrong with 1099's either and checked previous years and form was filled out exactly the same with no issues.  I just sent Katina T1 the requested information and hopefully she will uncover the issue and resolve it for us.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

After taking a closer look at the diagnostic file, here is something that may be causing the issue.

The state information shown in boxes 14 through 16 of Form 1099-R need to all have a value in them if there are any state taxes withheld.  

If your Form 1099-R does not show a state ID number, enter the Federal ID number.  If your Form 1099-R does not show a state distribution (box 16), enter the distribution amount shown in box 1.  Do not enter zero for the distribution amount if state taxes were withheld.

Please let us know if this change allowed you to successfully file your return.

@northerner86-- 

@adhudson316 

@GaryG4195 

Hello Annette,

Thanks for your help.  Unfortunately, as a Federal Employee (now retired) my organization would not take out School District Tax from either of my two 1099-R's.  There is an amount in Box 14 of my Office of Personnel Management (Pension) 1099-R as I have State tax withheld but that is for the State of Ohio, not the local School District.  Box 15 has the correct two letter state abbreviation and State ID number that TT automatically filled in.  Box 16 has 0 for amount.

The second 1099-R is from the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) (Federal 401K) and I have no State tax money withheld.  So by default, TT left Boxes 14 and 16 blank but filled in Box 15 with State abbreviation and State ID number.

I make four Estimated Tax payments to the State of Ohio every year and report them on the SD Tax Form using Turbo Tax.  In fact, I overpaid and am due a refund.  

So far I have been rejected by Ohio three times.  The first time was when I originally filed all my returns on Turbo Tax and so boxes 14-16 had the default information put in automatically by TT.  The second time, after reading the TT rejection instructions, I removed all the information since no money was withheld.  That was rejected.  The third time, I completely filled in Boxes 14-16 using 0 for the amount in Boxes 14 and 16 and the State abbreviation and ID number in Box 15.  That was also rejected and is the version I believe you currently see on the forms I sent you.  I have used TT for years and have never had this happen before and to my knowledge did not do anything different this year.  One other thing to consider;  If something is filled in or not filled in correctly in boxes 14-16, why was the State of Ohio IT 1040 tax return accepted?  Hope all this extra detail helps you, and as you can see, there are others having the exact same problem.  Thanks for all your help in looking into this matter for us. 

GaryG -

My SD100 was rejected so many times that I went to the OH State tax form website and decided to do it myself.  Many entries were already filled out, I assume from the 2023 OH taxes having been already accepted.  I live in a Traditional SD (and submit quarterly estimated taxes) and I made sure all lines were properly ported and filled out.  The amazing thing that happened was another REJECT.  However, this popup said if nothing was reported for local taxes withheld on 1099R's, DELETE all the entries.  So that's what I did and the form was accepted.

I have worked on this for hours with no luck even following your instructions.  At one point even my Federal and State returns showed "rejected".  At this point is there anything wrong with filing my SD100 in paper and send it to the Ohio tax department?

OHGuy1
Returning Member

Same issue here. Though I also notice now when I go through the steps to refile, the forms are not correctly calculating refund payment due. I initially had about $50 due for OH school tax. Now It shows I am getting a refund of all money withheld. That isn't right. When I look at the forms, it doesn't look like it is calculating the income correctly on the SD-100 and thus also not calculating total tax due. Does anyone else see this on lines 6 through 23 of the SD-100 form?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can sign and mail the Ohio School District Income tax return Form SD 100. There is an address on the bottom of the form so you know where to mail it. @thomask 

Token: 1190534

Just sent in my diagnostic tax file. Appreciate you looking into this. Information in my 1099R and CSA-1099R are exactly as they appear on the originals and are correct. Please note that both original 1099Rs (government) don't have a block 16. They end at 15.  They have been formatted this way for years and I've successfully used them to file school tax using TT for years. Once again thanks and have a nice day.  

I found that I had an extra space and digit at the end of the field for the Ohio State ID number. This code was copied from my prior year return, which had no problem with it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies