turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My "moving expenses" deductions is not loading on Turbo Tax Deluxe 2020 edition. How do I fix the software so the menu loads on my screen. It is completely blank.

All of my other deductions load on my screen but for w/e reason the "moving expenses" section is blank like as if it wasn't coded into the software or is bugged out.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

My "moving expenses" deductions is not loading on Turbo Tax Deluxe 2020 edition. How do I fix the software so the menu loads on my screen. It is completely blank.

For assistance with troubleshooting your blank screen issue, please see this TurboTax FAQ: Troubleshoot blank screens, missing buttons, or missing images

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

the moving expense deduction has been eliminated for many taxpayer starting with 2018

to qualify you must be a Member of the Armed Forces on active duty and, due to a military order, you, your spouse, or your dependents move because of a permanent change of station.  you state may allow a deduction.  

Darnellmc
Returning Member

The troubleshooting doesn't help and isn't relative to this issue.  Someone mentioned not being eligible for moving expenses, that is untrue.

When going to the Personal Deductions area of the app and in the "Other Deductions and Credits" area clicking on "Moving Expenses" the next page is a screen with only the top menu bar items of the app and the rest of the page is blank.  This is an app issue and it seems to be occurring for everyone trying to enter Moving expenses.

Before anyone else gives feedback, please open TurboTax 2020 and navigate to the section for Moving Expenses yourself.  Please see for yourself and get support to issue a patch ASAP.

Darnellmc
Returning Member

Correction: I was reading the information in the app about moving expenses, which is inaccurate.  The mention we are not eligible for moving expenses in most cases is true.

See: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/jobs-and-career/irs-moving-expense-deductions/L5podfG5I

It would be good if the app is updated accordingly.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but the app is misleading.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

The moving expense deduction (Form 3903) has been repealed for tax years 2018–2025, except for military members who were ordered to move as the result of a permanent change of station (PCS). These filers can still deduct their moving expenses.

Just opened both a desktop and an online version of 2020 TurboTax and did not encounter any issues with entering moving expenses, as long as I affirmed that it was a military move.

I have the same issue. Why in the world does it take me to a blank page?

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Please see the explanations that moving expenses are no longer deductible unless you are in the military.  

wegrantjr

I am completing my daughters taxes and the moving expense deduction still comes up blank. This seems to still be a problem. When will this be fixed so an active duty sailor can complete her return?

wegrantjr

That has been repeated several times, but what about if the filer IS in the military. This is the issue.

wegrantjr

I have the answer to this issue. The from 3903 must be opened/created manually. The form will ask if the filer is in the military. Everything then works. I used the Columbus method with turbotax - discover and land.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies