Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My husband and I only received 1/2 of our stimulus checks! We should have received $4200 (me, him, dependent) but only got $2100. Why? We don't make the max amount.

This is not unique to TurboTax customers, it is across the board with all tax preparation companies and independent accounting firms.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

My husband and I only received 1/2 of our stimulus checks! We should have received $4200 (me, him, dependent) but only got $2100. Why? We don't make the max amount.

We will have to wait for IRS guidance on why they only sent half in some cases and what, if anything, needs to be done to get the second half.  This link continues to be updated as information becomes available.  This information is provided by the IRS - Third Stimulus FAQ  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same thing happened to us. Couple filing jointly with one dependent. Should have been $4,200 and only received $2,100. 

chuckdtsn

I also was expecting 4200 and only received 2100, but i received my tax refund on the same day and it was spilt into 2 payments, which was different. I don’t know who to call

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

@Chelle b

The IRS issues the stimulus payments, not TurboTax. This means that we can't say for sure why you haven’t received your full stimulus payment or if and when you'll receive it.

•  We are waiting for the IRS to provide us additional guidance on how people can  apply for missing or wrong amount third stimulus checks.

Note: None of the three stimulus checks (or Recovery Rebate Credits) are considered income, and therefore aren’t taxable. They won’t reduce your refund or increase what you owe when you file your taxes this year, or next. They also won’t affect your eligibility for any federal government assistance or benefits.

Same. I actually filed my taxes already. This year I was able to claim my daughter (I do so every other year). So according to our taxes it is my husband, myself, and two dependents. We got $2100. We received that amount on the 12th. I waited til today to see if anything else would hit. Do you have an update on yours?

Haggz90

Same thing happened to my family. Has anyone gotten any kind of information?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@Haggz90

I have seen similar reports.  We do not know why something less than the full amount was issued.  We do not know when or how the additional third stimulus amounts will be processed. 

Has your 2020 Federal 1040 tax return been filed and accepted?  Perhaps the IRS is waiting to compare this payment to your 2020 tax information.

This TurboTax Help states:

Do I need to do anything to get my stimulus check?

You don’t need to do anything to get your stimulus check. The IRS will determine eligibility based on your last tax return (either 2019 or 2020) and will likely send your payment to the bank account where your tax refund was deposited.

Perhaps, at some point soon, the 2020 Federal 1040 tax return information will be updated and the full payment issued but we do not know what the IRS plans to do.  The IRS could, again, use the 2021 Federal 1040 tax return to reconcile the third stimulus payments.

Follow the TurboTax COVID Tax Center and the IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center as further updates are issued by the IRS.

Kngdubs

Same here, my wife and I only received half the amount due. So I called today they said, yah that amount is strange, put me on hold and said someone will call me back before 30 days . 

As customers continue to have questions regarding the Economic Impact Payments (EIP), we’re continuing to work with the IRS for guidance. We’re updating our customer and expert-facing articles with information as soon as we get it.

If the IRS has sent you less than your calculated amount, then you might be able to check these links for some information:  

How will the third stimulus impact me?

@Kngdubs

Sorry but those links were no help, the issue is that no one here is getting the full amount as promised and mostly Turbo Tax customers. 
I know it’s free money but it’s also ours (Taxpayers) and we should expect to get what was promised. 

I did the tracker tool and ours says the same. Mine was scheduled the 17th and my husbands says it hasn’t been scheduled yet. We only got the $2100 on the 17th. We file jointly with one dependent. 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

The IRS has not announced specific plans but there are indications that they will match up 2020 income and dependents with stimulus payments already issued.  They will then send second payments to those owed additional amounts, because of the addition of a child or dependent.

@Chelle b

@mhenry530

I did not have an addition of a dependent as my child is 16.  It's the same as it has been for years.  Married filed jointly with one dependent.  Did anyone else get half of the stimulus and there were no changes from 2019 to 2020 filed taxes?

We didn’t either Kimberly and still only got 1/2 deposited 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies