turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

kensmo

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

Is there a solution to this problem?  Why were we not made aware of this before we purchased this product.

How do I get my money back?

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

@kensmo When you purchase any new software for your computer---do you check the system requirements for the software before you buy it?   If you cannot upgrade your OS then you can use online software.    You will need to have a discussion with customer support regarding the billing issues about that.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time

No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue.  If you have a question about your TurboTax fees or billing, make sure you use the word “billing” in your request for help.  Do not use the word “refund.”

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Kent Hutchinson
Returning Member

Will Mojave  10.14.6 OS be good enough for 2021 Turbotax and beyond?

dmr0
Level 3

It could be if Intuit was willing to compile TurboTax 2021 to include Mojave.as a deployment target.

But the answer is that Intuit has said that they won't do that. They've said that they will require macOS 10.15 (Catalina) or later.

Perhaps if enough of us contacted Intuit's corporate executives now (i.e,, before any work on TurboTax 2021 is started), Intuit executives could be persuaded to support as many versions of macOS as Apple's development tools will support as deployment targets .

Kent Hutchinson
Returning Member

I was afraid of that..........thanks for the timely response

So basically I purchased TT and it will not work.  This is not good as my MacBook works fine for everything else.  What a waste.

dmr0
Level 3

TurboTax 2020 requires Mojave (or later). If you have a Mac on which Apple does not support Mojave, there is something that you can do, but it requires some technical expertise and is a little bit risky. The web page http://dosdude1.com/mojave/ describes the (free) "macOS Mojave Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs", lists the Mac models on which the patcher will work, and provides links to download the patcher and Mojave. If I were doing this, I'd create a separate partition and install the patched Mojave in a separate boot partition.

(There is also a (free) "macOS Catalina Patcher" tool for unsupported Macs at http://dosdude1.com/catalina/ )

The biggest downside of this is that Apple won't provide any support for you running Mojave in this way.

I didn't see the requirement for Mojave until after I had paid and download the app. I can't use it as  I'm using a 2011 iMac. Could I please get a refund? Thanks.

tinqua
Returning Member

What Mac O/S will be required to process Turbotax for tax year 2021?  Intuit

help line says they don't know yet. Help.

If has not been posted yet  however if apple still supports the OS then it will still work with TT.

Watch for the updated info  here later this year ...  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

I got message upon doing taxes last year to expect to need to update to Catalina. But some notes here say that may not be necessary?

I can't upgrade and I can't imagine having to buy a new computer to do taxes. But I want to keep doing my own. I looked into many of my key programs and it requires re-purchasing way too many of them, including my Virtual Machine running an XP version Windows (best version Windows ever made LOL). I wouldn't have room for running old MOJAVE though a VM as well.

And I only have about 22 gigs of space left on the MAC. So I don't want the instability of trying to upgrade and hope everything I need will fit on it. For once I have a MAC that works well and want to leave it alone.

I use the highest end TT they have that allows Schedule C and Home Biz stuff to be done. So I can't use online (and don't want to anyway.) 

If I use my hubby's windows computer for this, which has WIN 10, will TT let me switch platforms if we try my MOJAVE first and it doesn't work? (And under the same fee already paid?) AND will changing to windows play nice with last year's TT2020 data file? 

That switch from MOJAVE to CATALINA / 32 to 64 seems to have caused a lot of problems for people who make programs I use. Some haven't even been able to make upgrades this far after the release. 

If you purchase the CD then you will have the installation file for both OS.   And the .taxfile from 2020 will open on either OS system.  

Before you retire the mac  make sure to save both the PDF and .taxfile for each tax year so a separate medium like a thumb drive.   If you did not save a PDF already then open the programs and save one now. 

Save a Backup Copy of Your Tax File

To save a backup copy of your tax data file (.tax file) that can be opened and read by TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll need to choose your TurboTax product:

Similar-sounding—but very different—is saving a copy of your tax return as a PDF file, which is like a picture or "snapshot" of your tax return that you can view or print.

PDF files cannot be opened or read by TurboTax software, which means they cannot be used for amending or troubleshooting calculation issues.

Related Information:

Why should I save a PDF copy of my return?

Saving a copy of your return as a PDF (in addition to the proprietary tax data format TurboTax uses) lets you open, view, and print your return using the free Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader software.

This is a lifesaver if your tax data file gets corrupted or if you no longer have the TurboTax software to open it in. The government also accepts a paper-filed return printed from the PDF.

Please note that TurboTax PDF files cannot be "read" by the TurboTax software the way the tax data file can, which means they cannot be used for amending, troubleshooting calculation issues, or for full prior-year transfer capabilities.

For specific instructions, refer to the Related Information section, below.

Related Information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900937-why-should-i-save-a-pdf-copy-of-my-return

How can I protect the tax files on my computer?

Protect the sensitive information in your tax data files and tax-related PDF files with the following (the more, the merrier):

• If you're on Windows XP, upgrade to Vista or higher, as Microsoft has stopped patching XP
  • Download and install the latest updates for Windows or Mac
  • Keep your firewall on at all times
  • Install and run virus- and spyware-protection software (and make sure to keep it updated)
  • Store your files in a folder where they cannot be shared
  • Password-protect your tax file
  • Use PDF encryption software to protect PDF copies of your return
  • Never email your tax or PDF files

Another option is to move your tax and tax-related PDF files off your computer and onto a storage device which you can then store in a secure location.

Related Information:

Thanks for the advice. I just switched my product on auto order to CD instead of the Download so I'll get both (and thankfully it's the same price.)  I always like getting it early by download but worth it in this case to make sure I can use either. 

Even though they gave us the warning when we closed out 2020 that we'd need Catalina, I'm seeing notes in this thread that they aren't sure it'll be required. Is there actually hope they may still support Mojave another year? I'd like to year to update my MAC computer and s/w. 🙂 

If I upgrade to Catalina for MacOS 10.14.6 many of my apps and programs will not work. Is there a work around?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies