Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

@PKPILOT wrote:

I upgraded my computer to be able to use Turbotax for 2020 on my Mac. I do not even see a version for Mac for 2020.

Go to this TurboTax website to purchase one of the 2020 desktop editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

After you click on Buy now a window opens where you choose the operating system, Windows or Macintosh

Desktop Download Selection.JPG

If you do not see Macintosh in the window.  Close the TurboTax window.  Clear cache and cookies on your web browser.  Close the browser and re-open.  Access the TurboTax website again

If the problem persists, try changing your web browser.

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

Or if you are trying to buy Turbo Tax Business for separate Business or Estate/Trust Returns, it is only available for Windows.

users of windows 7 and earlier have the same problem. 

I've  been a TT user for at least past 12 years with no issues. Purchase TT 2020 only to find out it will not run on my Mac unless I upgrade my computer at a cost of over $2000.

I am using High Sierra 10.13.6 which will not run TT 2020.

Any work arounds

Sorry but Intuit screwed the Mac community. You either have to use their online version of TT or get HRblock software. I opted for the latter and it does take last years TT tax file for input.

@Frankie I wrote:

I've  been a TT user for at least past 12 years with no issues. Purchase TT 2020 only to find out it will not run on my Mac unless I upgrade my computer at a cost of over $2000.

I am using High Sierra 10.13.6 which will not run TT 2020.

Any work arounds

Unfortunately that is Apples doing.    To develop and compile Mac software the Apple provide Developers Tools must be used and Apple has dropped support for OS earlier then 10.14.

A developer CAN use an older version  of the tools but then they would not have Apple support if problems arise and the developed software will not have the latest features that users want.

Some software companies put out different versions for different OS's but they do not produce 3 new Mac produces every year and have 10-15 updates that tax software does, as the IRS makes form changes available.   Maintaining 6 different versions and 60 plus updates simply is not practicable for the ever shrinking number of users with 6-9 year old Macs.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmr0
Level 3

Since just about every other software company provides software that works on High Sierra and older versions of macOS (and not with different versions of their software for different versions of the operating system - but with a single version that runs on all of the versions of the operating system), either Intuit is wrong or the rest of the Macintosh development community is wrong. It is pretty obvious that it is Intuit who is wrong.

Independent of what Apple considers to be their currently supported versions of macOS, it is reasonable and desirable that Intuit generate software that runs on all versions of macOS that were released in the last nine years. Deciding to generate software that only runs on versions of macOS that Apple considers to be currently supported means that Intuit is abandoning customers who can't upgrade to a later version of the macOS. That is a foolish business decision.

Wise or not it is the standard practice for all DIY tax programs ... and since MAC makes up a minority of computer users AND they do provide an ONLINE option  I highly doubt they will change their methods anytime soon.    Just last year the WIN 7 users got the same bad news after more then 10 years  ... they were told to upgrade or use the online version and they were also upset.  Unfortunately  Apple has a more aggressive planned obsolescent business plan which requires an upgrade every 3-4 years.  

Incorrect! I am now using HRblock tax software. Of the many apps on my computer, the only other one not moving forward is MS Office. At least their existing working version still works.

FYI ... Block will most likely not support it next year.  TT & Block play games back and forth ... last year TT did marginally support WIN 7 when Block did not.  They are making an allowance this year to steal you away from TT but they will also drop service.  I have seen this situation repeat itself for the past 12 years.   Just be aware you are a pawn in their power struggle for market share.

dmr0
Level 3

Apple first released High Sierra on 25-Sep-2017 and continued to consider it a supported version until 1-Dec-2020. I downloaded TurboTax Premier 2020 on 17-Nov-2020, so High Sierra was an officially supported version of macOS at the time I received TurboTax Premier 2020 (although it was known that official support of High Sierra would end very soon thereafter). I find it disheartening that Intuit would fail to support a version of macOS that Apple released less than four years before the filing date for 2020 returns and that Apple supported at the time that TurboTax 2020 was released. This is an especially poor business decision since it was already known that the next version of macOS (Mojave) would not run on many older Macs and Apple had already announced a migration to Apple silicon, so many Mac users were waiting for the introduction of the full line of new Macs using Apple silicon to be available before buying a new Mac that would run a later version of macOS..

I don't have any realistic expectation of Intuit changing their mind now and releasing TurboTax 2020 that runs on High Sierra (or earlier versions of macOS). I just hope that Intuit learns its lesson and doesn't disrespect and abandon loyal customers this way in the future.

Is is not business discussion - it is automatic for TurboTax because the current Apple supplied developer tools only support OS's 10.14 and later.   Any Apple application complied with the APPLE  tools will not install in any earlier OS.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmr0
Level 3

From what I've read, if Intuit choose to, it could use Xcode 12.1 (released in 20-Oct-2020) which includes SDK 10.15.6 which can produce code targeted for macOS 10.13.6 (= High Sierra). Intuit's choice to use a later version of Xcode which includes a later version of the SDK which can't generate code targeted for macOS 10.13.6 is an (unwise) business decision. A developer finds it easiest to ignore legacy support issues, because they are burden. If I were developing code for myself, I wouldn't bother with legacy support because I wouldn't get any value for taking on that burden. A business that cares about its customers can't afford to be indifferent to legacy support.

@dmr0 wrote:

From what I've read, if Intuit choose to, it could use Xcode 12.1 (released in 20-Oct-2020) which includes SDK 10.15.6 which can produce code targeted for macOS 10.13.6 (= High Sierra). Intuit's choice to use a later version of Xcode which includes a later version of the SDK which can't generate code targeted for macOS 10.13.6 is an (unwise) business decision. A developer finds it easiest to ignore legacy support issues, because they are burden. If I were developing code for myself, I wouldn't bother with legacy support because I wouldn't get any value for taking on that burden. A business that cares about its customers can't afford to be indifferent to legacy support.

True, but then they would not get support from Apple if problems arise since Apple no longer supports it.  Also if they want to offer the latest Apple features they must use the current version of developer tools.    TurboTax management made the decision several years ago to only use the latest Apple versions.

dmr0
Level 3

Are you sure that Xcode 12.1 is not supported by Apple? The latest version of Xcode is 12.3 which was released on 14-Dec-2020. Xcode 12.1 was released just two months earlier (on 20-Oct-2020). I can't find s statement from Apple about how long Xcode 12.1 will be supported, but I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if Apple dropped support two months after releasing Xcode 12.1.

Incidentally, the Apple web page https://developer.apple.com/support/xcode/ seems to say that Xcode 12.1 can generate code targeted to macOS 10.9 (Mavericks) through 11.0 (Big Sur).

I don't think it is fair to try to blame this situation on Apple. The Intuit developers may want to take the easy way out and only use the very latest version of Xcode. However, the above referenced web page suggests that Xcode 12.3 can still support a deployment target of macOS 10.9 through 11.0.

Whether the decision was made by Intuit developers or Intuit management, it is a very unwise decision because it abandons many loyal customers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies