Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

@SkiMeister-NC wrote:

I have already downloaded TurboTax2019.  I prefer to do my tax work on my computer rather than online, but it appears I won't have that option for 2020 unless I purchase a new computer.  This change by Intuit will effect many users.

It is not a change.  It is due to the fact that to develop new Mac software (and TurboTax each year is a new product) the Apple development tools (supplied by Apple) must be used.   Apple only supports 3 years of OS, currently OSX 10.13, 10.14 and 10.15.    There simply is no way for a software company to develop new software for any Mac OS prior to 10.13 using the current Apple tools.  It is Apple that does not support OSX 10.12 or earlier, not TurboTax.

For 2019, OSX 10.13 of later is required.

Next year, 2020, Apple will drop support for OSX 10.13 so 10.14 or later will be required.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

128 Replies

TurboTax is aware of this.

You can use the TurboTax online editions for tax year 2019 when they become available in early December - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

TurboTax minimum system requirements for Mac - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

TurboTax minimum system requirements for the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/turbotax-online-system-requirements/01/25...

I have already downloaded TurboTax2019.  I prefer to do my tax work on my computer rather than online, but it appears I won't have that option for 2020 unless I purchase a new computer.  This change by Intuit will effect many users.

@SkiMeister-NC wrote:

It is not a change.  It is due to the fact that to develop new Mac software (and TurboTax each year is a new product) the Apple development tools (supplied by Apple) must be used.   Apple only supports 3 years of OS, currently OSX 10.13, 10.14 and 10.15.    There simply is no way for a software company to develop new software for any Mac OS prior to 10.13 using the current Apple tools.  It is Apple that does not support OSX 10.12 or earlier, not TurboTax.

For 2019, OSX 10.13 of later is required.

Next year, 2020, Apple will drop support for OSX 10.13 so 10.14 or later will be required.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I'm running 10.13.   But I do understand your answer.  I just hate that a perfectly good machine with 8 G of memory and a solid state hard drive is not going to meet new software conditions in another year.  I could get by with using the online version of TurboTax, though it's not my preference.  I'll be mad at Apple rather than Intuit.

Thank you for your answer.  

I won't do taxes online for security purposes and I won't buy a new computer unless this one breaks. So, next year I plan to switch to HR Block even though I've used TT pretty much since they started on Macs and were known as Mac-in-Tax. Their response is BS since many apps (incl HR Block) will work with older OS's. They just don't want to have to test on multiple OS's. I left Quicken for Mac because of Intuit's lack of Mac support and I will be leaving TT for Mac for the same reason. A stupid corporate decision on their part.

I can't get the disk image to open or load.  Don't know if that is also happening to you or not.  My Mac is running 10.14 so it should not be an issue but obviously it is.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

I would suggest using the link provided below to troubleshoot this issue with Mac. If that does not work, I would suggest contacting TurboTax directly.

Troubleshoot TurboTax for Mac updating issues

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I agree that this is a dumb decision by Intuit. Apple is moving on to eliminate 2011 and prior machines because they were just designed too well. The newer Apples are crap by comparison, but just as expensive. Steve Jobs would be appalled! Intuit doesn't need to go along. I'll be angry with both companies. The cheap solution (if this is cheap) is to move on to a Windows based POS or to just leave Inuit. Haven't made up my mind yet.

After many years using TurboTax, I have decided to leave and never purchase anything from Intuit since they failed to produce a product that will run with Mac OS 10.15.3 Catalina. I have no desire to wipe my hard drive and load an earlier version of OS on my MacBook Pro just so I can get TurboTax to run. I am getting my money back as soon as possible. I recommend every Mac user do the same.

This is BS. I have been using Turbotax for YEARS and other tax software providers aren't having this issue. If Intuit wants to lose their thousand of Mac users, it's gonna hurt them financially. I know I will certainly purchase my tax software elsewhere next year.

klaus1

Can you still do your 2020 taxes online if you are not on the Mojave operating system using Turbo Tax?  Will the 2019 tax data form you hard drive automatically transfer to the online version of TurboTax?

@klaus1 wrote:

Can you still do your 2020 taxes online if you are not on the Mojave operating system using Turbo Tax?  Will the 2019 tax data form you hard drive automatically transfer to the online version of TurboTax?

Online only requires a browser.  

Why would you have a .tax2019 data file if you are not using the desktop software?   Of do you mean import the 2018 tax file to 2019 online?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-cd-download-to-turbo...

after you file with TurboTax Online,

you can download your return into a tax2019 file if you do it before October 15th.

@macuser_22  even I know that.

I understand that I will need to upgrade my OS system on my mac for next year's turbotax, but if I do that, I think that means that I would not be able to go back and access prior year tax returns (in the event I needed to amend a return).  Is that right and if so, is there a work around?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies