Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

Yes, the online version was discussed. As I mentioned, I don't trust having my tax information in the cloud. A matter of person privacy/security.

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

Totally agree. Why is Intuit the the only tax software vendor with this problem? Their explanation is totally nonsensical. If they want to get a large number of Apple users to go with a different tax software provider, they are definitely going about it the right way. If Intuit won’t devote the resources to correct this, then I will certainly be going elsewhere for my 2020 tax software.

wb21
Level 1

I have High Sierra 10.13. I downloaded 2020 and when I launched it, it said it could not load because a resource was busy. What resource?

@wb21 wrote:

I have High Sierra 10.13. I downloaded 2020 and when I launched it, it said it could not load because a resource was busy. What resource?

Mac minimum system requirements for TurboTax desktop 2020 - macOS Mojave 10.14 or later

See - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Go to this TurboTax website to request a refund for the software purchased from TurboTax - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp
Use this TurboTax website to check your orders and payments -
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/order-status/

@barry333 wrote:

Totally agree. Why is Intuit the the only tax software vendor with this problem? Their explanation is totally nonsensical. If they want to get a large number of Apple users to go with a different tax software provider, they are definitely going about it the right way. If Intuit won’t devote the resources to correct this, then I will certainly be going elsewhere for my 2020 tax software.

Apple's current software development kit (SDK) only supports 10.14 and higher.  Vendors who want to make programs compatible with older software versions have to use an older SDK.  That means reduced support from Apple, and an inability to take advantage of Apple's newest features and programming APIs.  Turbtotax chooses to use the current SDK, which means dropping support for older computers.  It's actually pretty remarkable that Apple computers were upgradable for several major system versions over 9 years.  How many 9 year old PCs are still running?

Incidentally, since Microsoft officially ended support for Windows 7, the PC version of Turbotax no longer supports Win 7. 

Goodbye Inuit.  Your software is good, but not good enough to make me upgrade my mac hardware or OS every 2 -3 years.  Every other app I run is doing fine on 10.11.. so suck it.  So long ....

I've gone to the online version.  I'd rather install the software on my computer, but since that's not possible, I'll still stick with TurboTax.  Sigh.

I just received TT2020 CD, installed the app.

My MacOS is 10.14.6 it will not go to 10.15 (too old)

I am planning to upgrade to new computer next year, but when I ran the installer I received a msg:

Please upgrade your MacOS to min 10.15, this software will run on your computer now but in 2021 it will not run as new OS is required.  This is a major hurdle to spend a thousand bucks just to run TT2020.  I don't have the money to buy it now.  Why Quicken can make it working on previous versions, or Firefox, or many other Apps, BUT NOT TT2020?  Are you guys a subsidy of Apple, forcing people to buy new computers?

@ZbysioSie Read through the posts in this thread.  You might find the information helpful.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@ZbysioSie wrote:

I just received TT2020 CD, installed the app.

My MacOS is 10.14.6 it will not go to 10.15 (too old)

I am planning to upgrade to new computer next year, but when I ran the installer I received a msg:

Please upgrade your MacOS to min 10.15, this software will run on your computer now but in 2021 it will not run as new OS is required.  This is a major hurdle to spend a thousand bucks just to run TT2020.  I don't have the money to buy it now.  Why Quicken can make it working on previous versions, or Firefox, or many other Apps, BUT NOT TT2020?  Are you guys a subsidy of Apple, forcing people to buy new computers?

As the message stated you can use the 2020 TurboTax software on your current Mac OS but not on the 2021 TurboTax software which will not be released until November 2021.

I have the same problem. I plan to go to HR Block software. I see that they can take last years TT file as input!

Thanks for your reply, it helps!  I must have misread, or something distracted me, as I did not received the note this way.  I will be on a new computer in 2021, looks like I'm fine.  2021 will tell.

dmr0
Level 3

Intuit is clearly putting their Mac TutboTax customers at an awkward disadvantage by using an SDK that doesn't support versions of macOS older than Mojave. This decision is timed particularly badly because Apple just started a two-year transition from Intel chips to Apple's own silicon, so many users will want to wait until the model of Mac that they prefer is available with Apple silicon, rather than have to buy a Mac with Intel chips (knowing that Apple is transitioning away from them) or having to buy one of the three models released with Apple M1 silicon (even though none of those models are suitable for that user). A much wiser and much more customer-friendly decision would be to continue using an SDK that supports say, versions of the operating system released within the last eight years, as long as the generated code will also run on the most recent version of the operating system. That would be the most reasonable way for Intuit to resolve the problem. Assuming that Intuit refuses to help its customers (i.e., abandons its customers who are stuck on older versions of the macOS), there is another alternative users could try to help themselves - but it requires both some computer savvy and a willingness to take the risk of running an unsupported environment. That alternative is to use the "macOS Mojave Patcher" from http://dosdude1.com/mojave to patch Apple's Mojave installer so that it will install on SOME older Macs on which Apple doesn't support Mojave or to use the "macOS Catalina Patcher" from http://dosdude1.com/catalina to patch Apple's Catalina installer so that it will install on SOME older Macs on which Apple doesn't support Catalina.

I upgraded my computer to be able to use Turbotax for 2020 on my Mac. I do not even see a version for Mac for 2020.

Maybe you did not click far enough.  Yo have to click again and it will give the choice for windows or mac

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies