Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

The last 3 years would not be affected by a system upgrade.   You can only amend 2016 -2019 currently and after July 15, 2016 can no longer be amended for a refund.

I can still open 2012 without any problems.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmr0
Level 3

Mojave OS for Apple computers is required for 2020. Thousands of 2011 Apple computers will be unable to run TurboTax. Is there a way to let Intuit know of that problem?

Even though Apple only promises active support for the three most recently released major versions of the operating system, Apple's tools still generate code for earlier operating system versions.

Does the statement that TurboTax 2020 will only be supported on Mojave and later systems mean that:

1. if unexpected operating system issues are encountered, Intuit may not be able to address them, because of a lack of Apple support, or
  2. Intuit has decided to use operating system features that are not available in systems prior to Mojave and is not willing to provide software to work around the absence of those features in earlier systems, or
  3. Intuit has inserted code that checks which version of the operating system is being used and TurboTax will immediately exit if the operating system version is earlier than Mojave.

Intuit, please note: Apple has announced that it is switching from Intel processors to Apple's own silicon, but the switchover will require two years to complete. Many Turbotax users have somewhat older Macs that can't run any system beyond High Sierra and are unwilling to replace their computers until Apple has a replacement for their current model using Apple silicon. It is extremely unwise of Intuit to try to force Mac users to switch to an operating system version beyond High Sierra until Apple has completed the switchover from Intel processors to Apple silicon throughout the Mac product line.

#3 - it the software is not on a supported OS it will not run.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Ituit states the Mojave is required to run the 2020 version of Turbo Tax. Cannot fine Mojave on the Apple App Store.  Should Catalina be used? 

Minimum system requirements for TurboTax Mac software

Here are the minimum system requirements for TurboTax 2016 through 2020 software for Mac Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home Business editions.

Operating System

• 2020: macOS Mojave 10.14 or later
  • 2019: macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later
  • 2018: macOS X v.10.12 or later (64-bit required)
  • 2017: macOS X v10.11 or later (64-bit required)
  • 2016: macOS X v10.9 or higher (64-bit required)

Processor: Multi-core Intel processor with 64-bit support

Hard Drive Space

• 2019 – 2020: 1 GB
  • 2016 –  2018: 650 MB

RAM: 2 GB or more recommended

CD/DVD drive if installing from the CD.

Internet connection: 1 Mbps modem (Broadband connection highly recommended). Required for product activation, software updates, and optional online features

Monitor resolution: 1024×768 or higher recommended

Mac-compatible printer: If you want to print your tax return or any tax forms.

We no longer sell or support TurboTax for 2015 or earlier tax years.

Here's a Turbo Tax FAQ on how to update the Mac OS-X

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/how-to-update-mac-os-x/00/26132

@brianclarry wrote:

Ituit states the Mojave is required to run the 2020 version of Turbo Tax. Cannot fine Mojave on the Apple App Store.  Should Catalina be used? 

Yes, OSX 10.14 or higher.

Mojave is OSX 10.14, Mojave is 10.15 and 10.16 is rumored to be released before the end of the year.

Many older Mac's cannot run the later versions.  10.14 is still available if your Mac is one of those or you just do not want the latest that might still have many bugs (like me).

dmr0
Level 3

Of course, the problem is that my iMac can not run any version of MacOS later than High Sierra (i.e., Apple doesn't support a later version of MacOS on my Macintosh hardware). So I need to buy a new Mac computer. Since Apple is in the process of switching from Intel-based Macs to Apple Silicon (i.e., ARM)-based Macs, I don't want to buy a new Intel-based Mac which will have a limited life. It is much more reasonable for me to wait until I can buy an ARM-based iMac. It seems only reasonable for Intuit to continue supporting the 2020 (and possibly 2021) versions of Turbotax on High Sierra until Apple has completed the switch of the Mac product line to ARM-based computers - to avoid forcing Turbotax users to buy new computer that will have a limited life.

Anonymous
Not applicable

and windows 7 users want TT to continue support for that.  seems like a lot of people will be getting new computers.   however, the online versions don't require the newer OS.  

I'm in the same boat as you. TT has left us behind and decided that it doesn't want our business. Luckily they have decent competition that does.

I'm not putting my taxes online, thank you. Hackers everywhere.

Apple has a strong planned obsolescence program forcing users to upgrade every 3-4  years (vs WIN which is about 10 years)  ... complain to them or switch to WINDOWS. 

Apple is not forcing me to do anything. All of the other apps I use work just fine. Their hardware works just fine. Intuit is the only vendor causing problems. Most likely because they don't want to spend their time testing their s/w on several O/S's. Decisions have consequences.

If you can't run the Desktop program you can switch to the Online version,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/turbotax-online-system-requirements/00/25... 

You will be able to transfer your 2019 desktop return into the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies