turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bizzymom

Line 11 on the 1040 is too large. It says enter the amount to report on schedule 3 line 12e. The amount is listed as $0. How can that be too large?

How do I fix this issue?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Line 11 on the 1040 is too large. It says enter the amount to report on schedule 3 line 12e. The amount is listed as $0. How can that be too large?

The error message is not referring to line 11 of Form 1040. It's line 11 of the Deferral Smart Worksheet for Schedule 3 line 12e. To get rid of the error, don't enter anything on line 11. When the error comes up in Smart Check, delete the zero (or whatever is there) and leave the box empty.

If line 10 of the Smart Worksheet is negative, you are not eligible to defer any of the Social Security portion of your self-employment tax.

Zero is too large because it cannot be more than the amount on line 10. Line 10 is negative, so zero is higher. But the solution, as I said, is to not enter anything, and leave line 11 blank.

raftingbuff
Returning Member

I can't find the "deferral smart worksheet" for schedule 3.  How do I locate it? Thank you

I'm getting the same error. However, when I try to delete the 0, it automatically fills in a 0 for me, and so keeps giving the same error. This came up because I initially said I wanted to defer the SE taxes, then later didn't qualify for it (because I'm getting a small refund). Now it seems I can't "escape" this deferral stuff on the Schedule 3 part of 1040. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@timothylfox  Are you deleting it in Smart Check, when it gives you the error message?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies