Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 Box 13 deduction

I have a K-1 Box 13 "ZZ Other deduction" that is supposed to be deducted from my taxable K-1 income (it is a non-passive deduction), but the amount that I entered on Schedule K-1 Box 13 is not populating in the Schedule E Page 2 worksheet, so it is not being subtracted from the total income being reported on Schedule 1 Line 10. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

K-1 Box 13 deduction

Yes, that is because box 13, code ZZ is for "Any other information the partners need to prepare their tax returns." - IRS instructions for Form 1065

In other words, the deduction can't be classified as any of the other deductions on line 13. The software doesn't carry this figure anywhere, because there isn't enough information to indicate where it goes. 

You can enter the amount directly on Schedule E if you know what the number represents. 

If you need help figuring out where this number goes, please respond back with details about this deduction and whether your are using TurboTax Online, or software installed on your computer. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

K-1 Box 13 deduction

If you are sure that this is a legitimate deduction then I would deduct it directly on the K1.  the IRS has received a copy of the K1 and should be aware of the deduction.  So deduct it from the amount that you are entering as the box 1 income and it will net out to the correct amount.  Be sure that this is a legitimate deduction and save copies of everything that justifies the new entry.

When you are doing the state return you will have to manually add the income back in as regular income.

@Cmbmichael 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

K-1 Box 13 deduction

A manual adjustment of income is the best option for handling deductions reported with code ZZ. As RobertB4444 mentioned, you may also need to make an adjustment on your state tax return to account for the taxes paid on your behalf.

@Cmbmichael 

12 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

K-1 Box 13 deduction

Yes, that is because box 13, code ZZ is for "Any other information the partners need to prepare their tax returns." - IRS instructions for Form 1065

In other words, the deduction can't be classified as any of the other deductions on line 13. The software doesn't carry this figure anywhere, because there isn't enough information to indicate where it goes. 

You can enter the amount directly on Schedule E if you know what the number represents. 

If you need help figuring out where this number goes, please respond back with details about this deduction and whether your are using TurboTax Online, or software installed on your computer. 

K-1 Box 13 deduction

if box 20 doesn't describe it you need to go back to the preparer. certain amounts may not be deductible for individuals, others would be reported on schedule E and if it's an early withdrawal penalty it would flow to schedule 1.

K-1 Box 13 deduction

How do I enter it manually on Schedule E?

K-1 Box 13 deduction

I'm using Turbo Tax desktop.  The deduction is a SALT/PTET (State and Local Tax/Pass Through Entity).  The deduction came into existence through a new law passed in my state (Indiana) in the middle of 2023 that was retroactively applied to the entire 2023 tax year.  It is supposed to be deducted from my federal taxable income, added back as income for my state tax return, and counted as state tax withheld.  I think I could enter it as a Non-Passive K-1 loss on Schedule E, but it's not actually an expense but a deduction from my take-home pay.  At any rate, the software is not letting me enter it manually on Schedule E.   I can't see any other way to get it subtracted from the total Ordinary Business Income listed on Line 1.  

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

K-1 Box 13 deduction

If you are sure that this is a legitimate deduction then I would deduct it directly on the K1.  the IRS has received a copy of the K1 and should be aware of the deduction.  So deduct it from the amount that you are entering as the box 1 income and it will net out to the correct amount.  Be sure that this is a legitimate deduction and save copies of everything that justifies the new entry.

When you are doing the state return you will have to manually add the income back in as regular income.

@Cmbmichael 

ww51
Returning Member

K-1 Box 13 deduction

The K1 deduction that I wish to make is for the depreciation of stepped up basis.  We inherited the partnership interest and the special depreciation for our basis is reported on the K1.  Last year there was a special code for that purpose.  Is there such a code for 2023 returns.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

K-1 Box 13 deduction

Were you able to resolve your issue here or are you still needing guidance? 

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

If you still are not able to solve this, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

K-1 Box 13 deduction

I ended up manually subtracting the deduction from the income reported on my K-1.  Turbo Tax had nowhere to input the deduction, even after I updated the software.  

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

K-1 Box 13 deduction

A manual adjustment of income is the best option for handling deductions reported with code ZZ. As RobertB4444 mentioned, you may also need to make an adjustment on your state tax return to account for the taxes paid on your behalf.

@Cmbmichael 

kamagoel

K-1 Box 13 deduction

I have an interest income listed on Box 5 of my K1, then i also have investment expense listed on Box 13 (Code ZZ). Can i simply adjust the Box 5 value by subtracting the Box 13 amount or is there another way to handle this?

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

K-1 Box 13 deduction

No, that won't work because your investment interest expense may be limited or you don't itemize. The investment interest expense is reported on Form 4952, line 1. 

kamagoel

K-1 Box 13 deduction

Thanks. How should i tackle this? If i plug in straight values, my capital gain tax on the investment income reported in Box 5 is higher than the actual distribution (received after deduction of management fees). Appreciate any other suggestion/s.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies