turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

null232

How do I enter stock's acquired date as Various? Because Turbo tax only let me enter the numeric date such as 01/01/2016 instead of "Various".

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

How do I enter stock's acquired date as Various? Because Turbo tax only let me enter the numeric date such as 01/01/2016 instead of "Various".

Just pick an average date.  (Turbotax insists on a date to classify the gains between long term and short term.  It can't do that without a date.  However, if the result is all were purchased over a year ago, an average date will work.)

View solution in original post

28 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Just pick an average date.  (Turbotax insists on a date to classify the gains between long term and short term.  It can't do that without a date.  However, if the result is all were purchased over a year ago, an average date will work.)

This solution does not work for me now in 2021.

TurboTax kept asking me to "Check This Entry" for the "Date Acquired" of a stock sell during federal review.

No matter how many times I filled that field, it kept asking. 

I also tried deleting the 1099B import and then re-imported. No luck either.

Update:

I decided to continue and ignore the problems in fed review. I was able to reach payment page.

It seems this issue won't block me from filing.

I have the same issue, I have entered payment information but cannot file because the date acquired field refreshes indefinitely, no matter what I enter.

1. In the date area there are two bullets.
    • On one Date, and
    • Something other than a Date
  2. Select Something other than a Date
  3. There is a drop down menu for Various.

I did this step in my 1099 b, but when I go to file I still receive a message to fix my return and input a date for the stock sale in question. regardless of what I enter at this stage, the page continually refreshes.

srocky26

I'm having the same issue. I bought and sold the same stock twice last year and Turbotax doesn't accept either date as the acquired date. I'm unable to submit my taxes because of this issue.

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

@srocky26

In TurboTax Online, are you able to enter Various by following these directions.

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • At the top of the screen, click Income & expenses.
  • Under Your income and expenses, click the Edit/Add button to the right of Investment income.
  • At the screen Here are all your investment sales, click Edit to the right of the investment to be edited.
  • At the screen Tell us more about this sale, click Continue.
  • Click the pencil icon to the right of the investment to be edited.
  • At the screen Now we’ll walk you through entering your sale details, scroll down to When did you receive this investment?
  • Click on the radio button to the left of Something other than a date.
  • In the drop down menu, select Various.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

@cactusgg

In TurboTax Online, are you able to enter Various by following these directions.

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • At the top of the screen, click Income & expenses.
  • Under Your income and expenses, click the Edit/Add button to the right of Investment income.
  • At the screen Here are all your investment sales, click Edit to the right of the investment to be edited.
  • At the screen Tell us more about this sale, click Continue.
  • Click the pencil icon to the right of the investment to be edited.
  • At the screen Now we’ll walk you through entering your sale details, scroll down to When did you receive this investment?
  • Click on the radio button to the left of Something other than a date.
  • In the drop down menu, select Various.

I have the same issue. None of these solutions works now. It's a bug with TurboTax, that needs immediate attention. This is showstopper, since it prevents me from submitting my tax.   

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If the above solutions do not work for you, please reach out to Customer Support via the below link:

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@parthi007

Yes, I was on a call with them for more than 1 hr to replicate the issue. There is still no resolution. This looks to be a software issue, which needs immediate attention. 

Likewise, I did the same as @@imaze  and was on the phone for an hour. I deleted and reuploaded the 1099b and was assured that the bug would be fixed by today but is not. I have already paid for turbotax but can't submit my return now.

Hi cactusgg,

Do you have any updates? I faced the same issue today, and I called support about an hour, but it seems they didn't have a solution right now. I have already paid for TurboTax too.

The software needs a date acquired because it has to be able to calculate whether the sales were short or long term transactions.  The capital gains rate is higher for short term (a year or less).   If it's blank on your 1099-B, it means the payer didn't have the information (probably because it was "various").

Look back into your records and enter a date.  If it isn't exact then enter something close.  Remember, the point is to ascertain if the gain is short or long term.

If you aren't sure how long you held the securities, try looking for the "Box" or "Code" on your 1099-B.  

If Box A or B is checked, then the holding period was less than one year. 

If Box D or E is checked, then the holding period was more than one year. 

@imaze007

@terrence_van

@cactusgg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies