turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Silvan

Itsdeductible being discontinued.. WHAT???

Couldn't agree more! These strategies described are way too time-consuming. The ease of ItsDeductible was one of the main reasons I used TurboTax in the first place. I probably won't use it any more, especially considering how expensive it has gotten and, to my mind, less user-friendly.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.  I appear to be in the same boat as many other commenters.  I'm sad about losing It's Deductible but will not stop using TurboTax because of it. 

I agree with the individual who asked for .CSV file of current donation values. I understand that this file will age. What I'm after is knowing what items are considered higher value and the relative values of rarer items. I know the little stuff (books, shoes, clothes, etc) from shopping at various thrift stores (aka Goodwill, St. Vincent's, Salvation Army).  The CSV file would also make it easy to create an Excel (or whatever) file to start my new adventure without It's Deductible. 

No one gave this link, so I will --> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p561  😃  <-- Yeah, Yeah, I know the concern is one of data entry rather than rules.

I'm sure one element of the discontinuation of It's Deductible was that Intuit doesn't want to be the system-of-record for donation values. They don't want to set policies; they want to create tools that mimic already set policies, have their software allow user to follow the rules in a consistent, human-error-free,  fashion and create values list from another systems-of-record. I'm guessing that, as we all are finding, Intuit is unable to find that detailed system of record. Drat!   <-- PS- I'm with you all though... they shouldn't give up so easily!

My plan: I'll probably create an Excel spreadsheet which helps me be consistent with my valuation of individual items and do the best I can to build consistent audit files.  Then in TurboTax, I'll input the shop, various dates, and the grand total for that entity, leaving my handwritten notes and photos as my audit trail.

Good luck everyone.

@TaxesWhyMe wrote:

For Deduction Pro,

1.) Do you have to first buy a specific year of software to use it? Not a rolling online thing, like Its Deductible was?

2.) Is it only available during tax time, and not during the rest of the year like ID was, so that you can put your donations in as you make them?

With respect to those two questions, I wish someone would post a definitive answer.

Regardless, from what I have been able to glean, the answer to Question 1 is, "Yes, users have to buy the current year's tax software to use DeductionPro" and the answer to Question 2 is, "Yes, it is only available during 'tax time' so you cannot enter donations as they are made".

If the foregoing is accurate, the product has very limited utility as it only supplies valuations as they are entered with the balance of a user's tax data during tax season.

Re: BVGumball

Exactly my thoughts.  I will probably continue to use TurboTax and use my extensive Excel capabilities (using Excel 97 (4.0) - yes, it's ancient, but still works in Windows 10) to summarize counts of items, valuations from ItsDeductible, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., and enter the summaries manually in TurboTax. It's not as clean as ItsDeductible, but beats the unknown of switching to H&R Block, with questionable import from TT and entry of donations in DeductionPro at tax time.

I concur!  It looks like the inmates are running the nuthouse.  It makes you wonder if this carelessness pervades their other products.  

Since there is a direct tie to TurboTax, and since that tie is deleted, then we should assume that there will be a corresponding reduction in the cost of TurboTax.  (Dream on).

This is an example of how to loose customers.

You may have discovered that you can no longer input for 2022.  Also you cannot download the information you have already inputted into you 2022 TurboTax forms.  (You can download it in 2021 & make a PDF, just change the date.)

I couldn't agree more. This feature was a major reason I elected to stay with Turbotax.

Anonymous
Not applicable

it's not there anymore

DougJ_CV

I cannot agree MORE, Mint NOT an option!!!!  Please, I beg of you, do not discontinue It's Deductible!!!

You have so many loyal users cutting us off like this is "shame on you Intuit".  Makes be what to stop using TurboTax (used it since it was introduced under DOS) in protest. 

Foolish decision!

I finally received a response email from Office of the President at Intuit. But it is still suggesting that everyone can just sign on to Mint. Apparently, no one in the penthouse has read the comments  on this forum in detail.

@Joe_da_mole 
Yep, me too. For once, I put on caps lock, and send back a furious email scream at him/them/it. Don't usually use ALL CAPS but such a non-response begged for it. Especially as I had already pointed out that Mint is a worthless replacement for the purpose at hand -- don't go shoving Mint at me again!
So. Very. Furious.

Originally, we paid for Itsdeductible.  Then the fee was added into Turbo Tax.  THEN it was free.  SO, having said that, what software can I use for 2022???  What tax software should I use.  If I don't have ItsDeductible, there is no advantage to me to use Turbo Tax.   I need a program

@Dee52 wrote:

What tax software should I use.  If I don't have ItsDeductible, there is no advantage to me to use Turbo Tax. 

There is, apparently, no other DIY income tax preparation software that includes anything like ItsDeductible so why bother switching? The advantage in using TurboTax is (a) you are familiar with the interface, and (b) all of your prior year tax information will transfer seamlessly.

Right, staying with TT means one is familiar with the interface. However, H&R will import one's previous TT file and H&R costs less then TT. Since I am loosing, actually have lost since I can't make new entries,  ItsDeductible, my plan is to buy the H&R for this tax year (last year it dropped to $22.50 on Amazon) and if I really don't like it buy TT.

Reading all these comments, and the lack of response from TT, I just can't help but think how disconnected the Executive Team must be from the products that their company sells. I've seen it before in other companies, they have no idea what is going on in the actual product/ on the floor/ with the consumers. They have a bunch of "yesmen" who tell them what they want to hear. It's all about cutting costs and services. Instead of investing in this unique product (that has been neglected since 2019) to make it better/appeal to more people. 

Oh, another thought on why they made this decision so abruptly.  There must be a new executive at the top who is trying to "make an impression" "create change" or some other BS, and this is their way of doing it. Pissing off a loyal customer base. Clearly they do not use the product themselves and don't care about us. 

What is the "valid option" available in Mint? Seeing a lot of references to "just use Mint", but I'm not seeing where you can track monetary or item contributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies