Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Is the number "1-866-602-4279" legit? Received an email from "no-reply@e.turbotax.intuit.com"

I agree with the others on here that it is extremely hard to verify that something from TurboTax is legitimate and it seems impossible for me to get an actual person from the TurboTax help numbers on the phone. 

Is the number "1-866-602-4279" legit? Received an email from "no-reply@e.turbotax.intuit.com"

Also received similar email.  In lieu of calling the number in the email, I logged directly into Intuits website and found a different number, called it, and spoke to a very helpful individual who determined that someone has indeed attempted to file a tax return with my information.  We have a case in process.  I'll have to mail in a paper copy of my return this year.  Two comments:  (1) I don't know if the number in the original email is legit, the Intuit person did call it when we were on the line together and then we were sidetracked and never circled back around to its accuracy and (2) after logging into Intuits website I was plunking around and found reference to recent Sign ins to my account AND the exact wording used in that original email (You're using a different TurboTax account this year.  It's important that you contact us right away).  The recent sign in was from my computer 10 minutes earlier, so their system clearly worked to identify me.  And it also showed a message about the different account submittal, but from an Unknown Device, Unknown Browser and Unknown Location, with a time that was 2 hours earlier than my log in.  This is when I was still sleeping so it obviously wasn't me.  You can go to this same location as follows after logging in:  click on "Sign in & Security", and then click on "Account Activity (Check in on your latest account activity)".   If Intuit resources are reading this, I do have a recommendation:  When I first logged in this morning there was no reference to any potential issues.  In my opinion, there should be a big flashing note that I have to click "OK or Cancel" suggesting that I call a specific number to verify the validity of the supposed tax return submittal, vs. having it hidden in the area noted above.

One additional item:  the Intuit resource never asked me for anything related to my SSN.  The only info they requested was the email address I was using with this specific account, my phone number and my address.

Got the same email.  logged in and confirmed the same message was showing in my Account Activity which also showed the it occurred 10 hours before.  I was also hesitant to call that number in email, so I went through the online chat to get a voice call back.  The rep was initially confused about the message, but after brief hold was able to confirm the fraudulent activity.  She filled out a form while I was on the call and stopped the fraudulent filing.

Yes the [phone number removed] number is legit.  You can also call into the main support line [phone number removed] if there are doubts.

Out of curiosity, did the rep forward you an email with a link to upload proof of identity (license, passport, etc.) that the government will use to review the attempted, fraudulent filing, and did they note that you'll have to submit a paper copy of your taxes this year?

I'm hearing impaired and can't hear clearly over the phone.  I have the same issue with the email and I'm trying to find a way to get in contact thru another way other than phone

"Out of curiosity, did the rep forward you an email with a link to upload proof of identity (license, passport, etc.) that the government will use to review the attempted, fraudulent filing, and did they note that you'll have to submit a paper copy of your taxes this year?"

Yes they did.

"I'm hearing impaired and can't hear clearly over the phone.  I have the same issue with the email and I'm trying to find a way to get in contact thru another way other than phone"

Take a look at this.  You can message them online.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/turbotax-customer-service/00/834690

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can most certainly message us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

Legit. Got an email because of first year filing married separate. Called and they only asked the partial secure info. Last 4 not full ssn. Year of birth not full. Verified the issue without me asking. All straight. 

legit number. i was hesistant. then i did what another person said. login to your turbotax account. go to settings and security and then go to account activity. there was a login from 10 hours ago. so i called the number. they ask a bunch of questions, automated. then i was transferred to a human. can't stand hackers! make sure you have 2 step authentication set on your account. this helps most times.

XFiler

The number looks valid as per the Intuit security support person I spoke with, but I strongly recommend only using the Support call-back feature to be safe, since it requires an account login, provides a specific number to call, assigns a case number, and you immediately receive a callback from a human Intuit representative. Apparently when someone who has the same last 4 digits of your SSN files a tax return in TurboTax from a different account it will log this in your account activity and email you the alert. The security support representative can investigate and confirm if the other account used a different but legit SSN that just happens to also have the same last 4-digits as you. I did not provide and was not asked to provide any portion of my SSN to support. I only had to confirm name, zip, phone and email.  

In general  NEVER  click on any link in any email that was unsolicited or suspicious ever ever ever.  Always check with the source directly and delete the email  or forward it to the companies spoofing collection site ... just google that info.

FYI ... I recently got one from the IRS saying to contact them since I had more credit refund coming to me ... what a farce.  So I forwarded it to the IRS spoofing site and blocked them from sending any more emails.  Sadly I wonder how many folks get caught with a scam like that. 

pjammie16
Returning Member

SCAM - DO NOT CALL THIS PHONE NUMBER. I received the same email last night and called the number. Spoke to someone named Flo with an English accent. She asked to confirm my name, email address and phone number. She also asked if I was logged into my account because they will want to screen share. I said I wasn't logged in and she said she would transfer me to TurboTax's Security team but there would be more than an hour long wait so they would call me back. I shouldn't have called the number and I went directly to TurboTax's Support Contact Center on their website (should have done this first). I submitted an inquiry using their form and was given a different phone number to call. I spoke to Julie from TurboTax and told her about the Security Email Alert email received and she sent an email from her account to me and asked me to compare it to the email address in the security alert. I told her it was different and she confirmed that it was not a legit email from TurboTax. She mentioned that they've been receiving a lot of phone calls regarding this scam. She also said that the IRS is not accepting tax returns until the first week of February. As a safety precaution, she told me to change my account password.  The scammers just called me back and I sent them straight to voicemail. 

Never trust an email from any source saying you must contact them asap  ...  and never call any number in it  but if you do then never ever  call any number that they suggesting ... always go directly to the source by calling a verifiable number.   

See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

Or –

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or –

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Or –

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

OR—

On every TurboTax web page, including this one, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Contact Us

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies