turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It seems turbo tax won't let me go back and change something that I need to change. So I won't be using this site next year. And will not recommend it to anyone

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

108 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

It seems turbo tax won't let me go back and change something that I need to change. So I won't be using this site next year. And will not recommend it to anyone

I am sorry you are having trouble in TurboTax.  You can change anything in TurboTax that you entered, provided you haven't filed your return yet.  Simply go back to the screen that  you entered the data in and select Review/Edit.  For example, you entered your W-2 incorrectly and want to change it, follow these steps:

1. While in your Tax Home,
  2. Select Search from the top right side of your screen,
  3. Enter W-2 (or whatever form, income, or deduction you need to change),
  4. Select Jump to W-2,
  5. Select Edit next to the W-2 you want to change.

If you are having trouble with a particular entry, reach out to us, we are happy to help!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I need to change my marital status. But turbo tax won't let me. There is nothing to click on to go to that information

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

You need to log into your TurboTax account and proceed to work on your tax return. On the left menu column, you will see an option "My Info". When you click on that option, You will see a list of options, one of which is your filing status (Single, Married Filing Joint, Head of Household, etc...), click on the "Edit" option to the right of your filing status, and you can change it as is necessary.

mactax84

I also cannot go back to a page Turbotax took me through in the beginning.  I have tried combing through all the tabs and sections again on my own.  I need to re-select something different to pay self-employment tax.  The search button for help also leaves me nowhere, as did calling the phone number listed.  Very frustrating.  But it doesn't come up in the Personal Info section, Wage & Income, Deduction & Credit, etc categories.

To pay self employment tax?  Self employment tax is part of your overall tax return.  It either increases your tax due or reduces your refund.  You don't pay it separately.  You select how to pay a tax due when you go go the File tab right before you file your return.

Do you need to enter estimated payments you made?

Or prepare estimates for 2020?

Please give more details on what you need to enter.  Do you need to fill out schedule C for self employment?

I mistakenly entered only my first name, now TT won't let me edit that field to add my last name.

Did you already file?  You have to wait for it to reject.  If you haven't filed yet go to My Info to change it.

or Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time Monday -Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

I had just started, all I had entered was my first name, and I could not edit it  Turns out that is all I was supposed to enter, but when I went back the box was labeled name, so I thought I had erred in not including my last name.  Since I had just started, I just started over, and discovered the hint did ask for just my first name.  It would have been a little friendlier if the box was also labeled First Name.

The answer is wrong.  Turbo Tax will not let you go back and change the date you will make your payment of taxes.  So if you have an underpayment penalty and you accidentally enter 2020 instead of 2021 then it removes the penalty and no matter what you do you cannot go back and change the date to 2021 to fix it.

dndv2875

I am having a similar problem this year in the Income section.  Every year has been fantastic until this time.  I am following all of the instructions, click the edit button to review and make changes but the screen just spins until the software times out.  Very frustrating. The section I am having trouble with is related to business income.  I own my own business and have income and expenses to report.  I have not come across any options to select the self employed version of the software which is what I used last year, although I don't need special help this year as my income was very low due to COVID and I have no expenses.  I can't get past the screen that needs  me to verify this year's numbers so I'm stuck.

I have screen shots showing the steps I am taking and what happens but doesn't look like I can post those with this message.  Any help anyone can provide to get me out of this loop of death is very appreciated so I can finish my taxes

I want to change my status on receiving a w-2, but it keeps going back to my original selection.

I want to change my w-2 status from "work on my w-2 now" to "we don't have any w-2s" (I'm retired) It won't let me change it!!!  I change it and hit continue, but when I go back it's not changed.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@dndv2875 It sounds like you're experiencing issues that require one-on-one assistance.  Please call and speak with someone on our phone support team.  The following Help Article will assist you in connecting with the right person to get the help you need:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@Medina1124 Sign out of your account and clear your browser's cache and cookies, then sign back in. Or, try using a different browser to see if you can successfully change the W-2 status.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies