Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

It seems turbo tax won't let me go back and change something that I need to change. So I won't be using this site next year. And will not recommend it to anyone

@Suze8777 wrote:

Thanks for your help, but still not working. I'm pretty tech savvy, and so far I'm finding this program not easy. I'm not impressed.

Any other suggestions?

What happens when you click on Add a State??

When I use my online return and click on Add a state it takes me right back to the 2020 online tax return.

It seems turbo tax won't let me go back and change something that I need to change. So I won't be using this site next year. And will not recommend it to anyone

I don't see a link for "Add a State." I am on a page that across the top are Business, Personal, State Taxes, Review and File. If I select the button that says "Work on my Tax Return" I am taken to this page. It's an endless loop. Your suggestions. I don't see how to log out of the program.

@Suze8777 wrote:

I don't see a link for "Add a State." I am on a page that across the top are Business, Personal, State Taxes, Review and File. If I select the button that says "Work on my Tax Return" I am taken to this page. It's an endless loop. Your suggestions. I don't see how to log out of the program.

That sounds like you are using the TurboTax Home & Business edition installed on your personal computer, not the Online edition.

When you start the TurboTax program on your computer,  on the screen that states Continue Your 2020 Tax Return, all you need to do is Continue the tax return that was started.  

I can do that. But once I'm in the return the program is not allowing me to edit. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much for your help!

@Suze8777 wrote:

I can do that. But once I'm in the return the program is not allowing me to edit. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much for your help!

Are you using a Windows or Mac computer?

Windows

I called Turbo Tax and after an hour with the first (inexperienced) reprsentative, a second representative showed me that to edit the information I needed to first go into Schedule C and then make the changes. Turbo Tax is a little confusing. I think TT should add more links, which would make things easier. Thanks for your help!

I renentered my TIN from my 1099R though when I change it, Turbotax doesn't accept it.  How come?  I initially filed and was emailed that my return was rejected because of incorrect TIN. It says "fix my return" but it keeps the same incorrect TIN. 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I suggest contacting the issuer of the Form 1099R to verify that the 
TIN is accurate.  If that does not help, then delete the form 1099R and re-enter.  Hopefully, one of these will fix the error.

However, here is some additional information.

This rejection can occur if you mistyped or omitted the Payer Name and/or Federal ID Number (FEIN) when you entered your 1099-R.

Other, less common reasons for this rejection:

• Your 1099-R form is incorrect.
  • The payer's info in the IRS database is wrong.

Grab your 1099-R form and proceed to the solution steps below.

Note: If the Federal ID Number on your 1099-R is blank because the payer is foreign, you'll need to mail your return because the FEIN is needed for e-filing. If a domestic payer omitted their FEIN, contact them for the nine-digit number if you want to e-file or just file a conventional paper return.

Solution

1. Sign in to your account and open or continue your return.
  2. Search for 1099-R in the upper-right corner, then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Select Edit next to the 1099-R in question.
  4. Proceed to the Enter your 1099-R screen and compare the Payer Name and Federal ID Number on the screen with your 1099-R form.
    • Important: The payer's name and FEIN in TurboTax must exactly match the info on your 1099-R form.
  5. Make any corrections, and then select Continue.
    • If necessary, repeat steps 2-5 for any other 1099-R forms on your return.
  6. When finished, select File in the left menu.
  7. At the Welcome back screen, select ContinueDon't select Fix my return, you've already done that.
  8. Follow the instructions to proceed with the filing process.

The FEIN is correct, but my return keeps getting rejected. Why?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mtsang

this does not work. I still can't edit my form

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@mtsang

What does not work? There are at least a half a dozen issues discussed above. Which one are you referring to?

Please give us details on what you are trying to change. Remember that we in the Community cannot see your private tax data, so help us help you.

I called Turbo Tax and sat on the phone for 3 hours. I got everything resolved. Thanks. At least until I proofread!

I won't go into detail of why but I am finishing my 2019 tax returns and have them done but noticed that I need to change on business form 8995 the EIN number and when I go to form and try to change it, it won't let me. Also I am trying to add my checking account number for refund on the 1040-SR but it also won't let me and it didn't forward it from last years turbo tax return.  I was just goin to do me return over again but I know there has to be an easier way.

Thanks, Please let me know what to do. 

that did not help

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@dsbanfieldtax

"noticed that I need to change on business form 8995 the EIN number and when I go to form and try to change it, it won't let me."

You are needing to change the taxpayer identification number in column B on the 8995? Are you trying to change it in Forms mode (if you have the CD/desktop software)?

It is normally better to change data in the step-by-step interview. Try this: do a Search for qbi and click on the jump-to link (Mac users must find QBI in the Topics List). NOTE: just type in qbi and hit enter - don't click on any of the suggested search terms.

In other words, you are trying to find where you originally entered the taxpayer identification number and change it there.

"that did not help" - what are you referring to?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies