turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arijion90

My state refund is higher than my federal. Why is that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

It is possible for that to happen, depending on the kind of income you entered on your tax return, and on the amount you had withheld from your income for federal and state taxes.  It is also possible that some of your forms are not ready and you should not trust the calculations at this point.  Due to the massive tax law changes, new forms, and new tax software, many federal and state forms are still not ready.  Click on "Review" and you will see which forms are not yet ready.  It is too soon to file--even if the software will allow it.  The IRS is not accepting returns yet--and has not yet announced when they will begin.  It is unlikely to be sooner than the end of January or even later.  Wait until all of your tax documents are in order--many will not arrive until later in January or early February, and until the forms are all finalized.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Tmchase

I’m trying to finish off filing but it’s saying that I can’t pay with my federal taxes because I’m not getting a return why is that

@Tmchase You cannot pay your TurboTax fees from a federal refund if you are not getting a refund or if your refund is not enough to cover the fees.   What does it show for your federal refund?  Is there an amount on line 35a of your Form 1040?

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

If the amount on line 35a is not enough to pay the fees plus the extra refund processing fee of $39.99 you will need to pay the fees using a different method-----credit or debit card.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies