Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CalvinGB32
Returning Member

Income and Adjustments are $26K high

For a retired military officer, with a military pension, who has been in an assisted living center since April 2020, I entered income of $44632 from 2x  1099-R forms and an SSA-1099.  TT is showing Income and Adjustments of $71451 and a Tax due of $5874. Where is this extra income coming from? I do not believe the person took an RMD, but this seems to have been waived for 2020. I may have answered the questions incorrectly. How do I correct this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

To clarify, do you see any other income on Form 1040? What lines? What amount is on line 5a, 5b and 6b?

Yes, RMD were waived in 2020 and you can answer that he was not required to take an RMD.

Please check if any information got carried over from last year:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R
  4. Please check if there are more than two entries, if yes then delete the entry that got carried over from last year.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CalvinGB32
Returning Member

Thanks for the response.

Income on Form 1040, lines:

5a,  Blank

5b  31714

6b 10288

Line 8 has $28,634 which were Reimbursements from the Insurs for the ALF. These are not taxable according to the IRS. (1099-LTC Box 3 checked Reimbursed amt)

Line 8 seems to be the problem

For this retired vet in an ALF, there are two 1099-R forms. One from a military pension for close to $32k and one from a bank for $814. Gross amt in box one is $32.5K.  there is a Social Security  SSA-1099 box 5 is close to $12k. At the top of the TT form, the Federal Tax Due, when I hover over it says Income and Adjustments are $71,451. Taxable Income is $57,401. And tax owed is $5874. He didn't make over $44k. Where is this phantom income coming from? It may be related to RMD. I had trouble with that section. I did not fill out the additional form required to waive it (if there is one). There is no carry over from last year since we did not use TT last year, and I did not upload anything. 

Sounds like you entered a 1099R twice.  Or typed a decimal point in the wrong place on something.  Social Security is not 100% taxable, only up to 85% depending on the other income.  So I'm thinking the 32,500 got in twice.

Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

It might be best if you contact TurboTax directly so they can take a look at the return to figure out what is going on. Please see What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was typing while you were adding line 5 & 6 amounts.  What other lines have amounts on them?  Must be some other income added.  What's on line 15?

CalvinGB32
Returning Member

The phantom amount matches the amount of distribution of an 1099-LTC, and appears on line 8. However i have reviewed that section and no amt is being reported. I had it entered then removed it after some research at IRS.gov

Everything else appears to be entered correctly.

CalvinGB32
Returning Member

How do I erase the amount in line 8 of the 1040?

I have been thru the step by step, there are no amts entered

CalvinGB32
Returning Member

Thank you for your response. To erase line 8, (even though nothing was showing on the main page) I had to answer the main question yes in that section, and reanswer the questions. That prompted the "Federal Tax Due" amt to update-- Despite there being no entries in that section. It seems to have been hung up on my original entry, despite all figures being erased.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies