Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In the other part in my account, I put that I can be claimed by someone else. How do I know that once I file, it would say that I am a dependent?

Basically how do I file as a dependent
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

In the other part in my account, I put that I can be claimed by someone else. How do I know that once I file, it would say that I am a dependent?

In My Info you are asked if you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  If you can be claimed as someone else's dependent then you answer YES to the question.   Then if you are not sure what it shows on your Form 1040---look at it.   Up near the top of the form it should have a check or an x in the box that shows if you can be claimed as someone's dependent.   Look for the words "Standard Deduction"---then read to the right.

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Made a screen shot of the 1040 tax return

Dependent.jpg

So this means I being claimed as a dependent? I just want to clarify so that I don't make any mistakes

20210425_002648.jpg

Screenshot_20210425-002438_Chrome.jpg

Yes you have indicated that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.   That means you are NOT eligible to receive any stimulus checks, among other things.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So does that mean I'm not allowed to file my taxes? Apologies for the many questions, I'm new to this.

CAN I FILE A RETURN IF I AM A DEPENDENT?

If you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, you can still file your own return so that you can receive a refund of taxes withheld.  (You will not get back anything for Social Security or Medicare withheld.) Be sure that on your own return you say that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.

Yes you might still have to file your own return if you have income.  You don't have to file if you only have W2 income under 12,400 but you can file to get back any withholding taken out in boxes 2 or 17.  But you don't get boxes 4 or 6 back.  If you got a 1099Misc or 1099NEC you have to file it as self employment income no matter how small the amount.

Filing requirements for a dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies