turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In the desktop version, how can you change from itemized deductions to the standard deduction?

I see that this question has already been asked, and it has been responded to, but without actually answering the question.  All it says is "In TurboTax, you can always switch to a different deduction," but it doesn't tell you HOW to do it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In the desktop version, how can you change from itemized deductions to the standard deduction?

@rainonthefarm wrote:

Thank you for your response, but you have NOT answered my question.  You attached the same "non-answer" response that was given to a similar question posted by another user, which I referenced in the statement of my question.  The canned response you've attached merely says, "In TurboTax, you can always switch to a different deduction," but it does not tell you HOW to do this.  

My return is almost complete using itemized deductions, but I now realize I want to use the standard deduction instead.  How do I tell TurboTax to switch to the standard deduction?  I don't want to have to redo my entire return.

Using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions you have not seen the screen in the screenshot?

Click on Federal Taxes

Click on Deductions and Credits

Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)

Scroll down and click on Done with deductions

Go through several screens and the type of deduction being used will be shown

Change Deduction.JPG

View solution in original post

4 Replies

HOW TO FORCE ITEMIZED DEDUCTIONS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900142-how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-itemized-or...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for your response, but you have NOT answered my question.  You attached the same "non-answer" response that was given to a similar question posted by another user, which I referenced in the statement of my question.  The canned response you've attached merely says, "In TurboTax, you can always switch to a different deduction," but it does not tell you HOW to do this.  

My return is almost complete using itemized deductions, but I now realize I want to use the standard deduction instead.  How do I tell TurboTax to switch to the standard deduction?  I don't want to have to redo my entire return.

@rainonthefarm wrote:

Using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions you have not seen the screen in the screenshot?

Click on Federal Taxes

Click on Deductions and Credits

Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)

Scroll down and click on Done with deductions

Go through several screens and the type of deduction being used will be shown

Change Deduction.JPG

That's just the kind of detailed answer I was looking for.  Thank you very much.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies