How do I not have my federal automatically transfer to my state? I want to start my state return from scratch

If you want to prepare and file your state tax return separately from your federal tax return, you would not be able to use TurboTax. The TurboTax State program is designed to pull (transfer) information from your federal return. For this reason, TurboTax State is not sold as a standalone tax-preparation product.

If you are using TurboTax Online, you may delete your state tax return and re-transfer from your federal tax return as long as you haven't paid or registered yet.

Please review the following link(s) and the link(s) embedded on the webpage(s) for more information:

I want to transfer my Fed Taxes that I did by Turbo Tax, but when I went to start the State Taxes it won't allow me to do so.  I live in CT its suppose to be free for my State alongside my fed turbo tac but its not working so how do I get my state taxes done through turbo and automatically move the informaiton to the state I need help here.  Thanks Persida 

Employee Tax & Finance Expert

TurboTax is general not free for any state, except when part of the IRS Free File program powered by TurboTax (found here: IRS Free File).

If you are being prompted to pay for a tax return, then you are not in the Free File version which does not have any mechanism to accept payment or allow for upgrades.

If you are getting some other sort of error that will not allow you to continue, please give us a little more detail so that we can assist you with troubleshooting. 

@HelpPer2020

@HelPer2020   Are you using the Online web version?  Which one?  State is only free in the Free Edition.  

Or are you using the Desktop installed program and can't download the state program?  Which version?  Deluxe in the stores comes 2 ways....Deluxe with a free state program download and Deluxe without state.  There is also a state looping problem.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/state-loop-indicates-turbotax-is-up-to-date-after-...

I purchased Turbotax Home & Business Personal & Self-employed The screen says Connecticut  and I hit the start and I get a message that it needs to download the state I hit okay but nothing happens and each time I do that the same thing happens it says that its done I have nothing there.  Please help me, thanks. 

That is the Desktop program.  See the link I posted above for state looping.