turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wareboy77
Returning Member

If my spouse has been depositing joint returns that I didn't know we were getting and don't have a joint checking account but will not give me the sign in for turbo? Help

She's been filing on turbo tax for 11 yrs and I think she's been getting tax returns and will not let me log the account I also think she's been illegally depositing them what cam I do
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

If my spouse has been depositing joint returns that I didn't know we were getting and don't have a joint checking account but will not give me the sign in for turbo? Help

Talk to a lawyer.

wareboy77
Returning Member

I will but seeking advise. Was seeing since my social security number is on the returns if they would help me with the account or at least flag it till I cam get my information off of it.

@wareboy77 

if you file a joint return with your spouse, then you and your spouse are equally responsible for all the information in the tax return. Once the refund is paid into whatever bank account was specified, the IRS’s role is over.  The IRS will not help you retrieve money after it has been deposited in the place where you told the IRS to deposit it.

A joint return is supposed to be signed by both spouses. With electronic filing an electronic signatures, it is possible for one spouse to file without informing the other spouse or getting their consent. However, it’s not clear how are you could have been living the past 11 years without knowing that your spouse was filing your joint tax returns.  You could file an affidavit of fraud against your spouse with the IRS, alleging that you did not give permission to file a joint return.  You could try and file a separate return, listing only your own income and deductions and claiming a separate refund. But this will not be accepted by the IRS because it is after the regular deadline, unless the IRS also accepts your accusation of fraud and opens an enforcement action against your spouse. This is not a step to take lightly.

In the situation where you believe your spouse has not been financially honest with you during the marriage, your only real remedy is marital counseling or a divorce attorney, and making financial arrangements during the divorce to account for any fraud or misbehavior that occurred during the marriage.The IRS won’t get involved in this kind of dispute. As I already mentioned, their position will be that if the refund was paid into the account as requested in the joint return, whatever happens after that is not their problem to fix.

you can contact support to see what they say as to your request.  however, since Turbotax has no actual access to your return without knowing your spouse's login info there may be nothing they can do.

you can also file this form with the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3949a.pdf 

I would check false/altered documents and other. the explanation is that spouse has been filing joint returns without my consent.

wareboy77
Returning Member

Well for 11yrs we have been together she filed then and will nit give me the login information but she has always done our tax work and said we had to pay. But I work pipeline most of my life and made good money so I took her word up till last yr when I checked the pay off on my truck and I was 8000 behind and my checking over drawn for 4 yrs she's had checks made in both of our names and had been writing them and deposited them in her account with her phone app long story short I've lost everything and asked for the information and she went crazy with the same reaction with my truck my checking and my house. So I know she has been doing something shady 

wareboy77
Returning Member

That's the big thing if she made a joint checking account it was done on her own as I said I worked off and put my trust in her but wouldn't let her in my checking account I'd move money oover to another account for spending but she beat me and the system 

You can contact customer support in the morning as far as your TurboTax account is concerned. There is a procedure where you can take over ownership of an account by providing proof of your identity. This is usually used when someone forgets their password, or changes their email address or their cell phone number used for verification and forgets to update their account. I don’t know if it would be available to you in the case of a marital dispute.

You can also get transcripts of your tax returns from the IRS. You need to register at the IRS for an individual online account with your own unique username and password. However, you should then have access to any joint return that was filed that included your Social Security number.  You can get transcripts online for the past three years I think, and you can get transcripts or copies of all the returns by filing a paper form with the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

This won’t get you any money, but it will tell you what has been going on.

wareboy77
Returning Member

But I've never signed anything she did it all I'm just a dumb country boy with a big heart and know nothing about filing tax papers I've never paid my own bills I work so much I've no time to do anything tbh

wareboy77
Returning Member

Yes I have all the paperwork to show how she was taking everything I made and I've list everything while she is living good I have no need to get myself in trouble bringing this up in a community support and it be made up I know better then that she took me for 80000 

wareboy77
Returning Member

I gave her permission to file our tax yes but she lied and said we never get returns we've always paid I've never seen none of the papers I just took her word I mea. We have six kids I provide for and have never signed not 1 piece of paper that came from the irs just wondering is all I don't mean to take up your time but truly thank you for you reply and I truly think she has opened a online checking in both of our names that she deposited the returns in 

wareboy77
Returning Member

That's the thing she's done everything online and can't find any of the documents but it's all good I was just curious ty

wareboy77
Returning Member

OK ty you

wareboy77
Returning Member

Not really looking to get any money out of it I'm never that lucky but if she has opened 1 checking account with my name on it how many others has she opened I'm just making sure I'm not going to pat in the long run money comes and goes but I've paid so much this past yr I don't want anymore surprises 

You should probably also go to www.annualcreditreport.com and check all three of your credit reports.  This is the government sponsored say they will give you one free credit report per service per year, although it won’t give you a score.  You can make sure there aren’t any additional credit accounts linked to your name that you don’t know about. You can also put a “lock” or a “freeze” on each of your credit reports to prevent new accounts from being opened in your name unless you temporary unlock or unfreeze the account. You would have to do this on the website of each of the three different bureaus.  The difference between a lock and a freeze is that a freeze must operate according to rules set by the federal government, while a lock is some thing that is created by each of the credit bureaus and may have different terms and conditions or rules.  But either a lock or a freeze will prevent new credit accounts from being opened in your name without your knowledge.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies