turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I have a 1,000 CA scratcher win, will I receive the full $1000 and only pay federal tax at tax time, or will some of that check be withheld when it’s issued as well?

Am I taxed 2 different ways or just one?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

38 Replies

If I have a 1,000 CA scratcher win, will I receive the full $1000 and only pay federal tax at tax time, or will some of that check be withheld when it’s issued as well?

You will not receive the full $1,000.  California will withhold taxes.  The California lottery website states that "all prizes of $600 or more are subject to Federal income taxes and other offsets required by law.  However, there are no California state or local taxes.

If you are not a U.S. citizen or a resident alien, the Lottery is required by federal tax law to withhold additional taxes from your prize.  The Lottery is required to withhold federal taxes of 25% for U.S. citizens and resident aliens providing a social security number, and 28% for U.S. citizens and resident aliens not providing a social security number.  Players who select "I am NOT a U.S. Citizen and I am NOT a Resident Alien" box will have 30% withheld from all prizes.  Federal tax rates are subject to change."

You will Submit a Claim Form to collect your winnings.  Click this link Claiming Prizes and scroll down to Scratcher Games $600 and Over.  Follow the instructions to claim your winnings.

If you itemize your taxes, you can deduct gambling losses up to gambling winnings.  See this TurboTax article Can You Claim Gambling Losses On Your Taxes? for more information.

You WILL get a check for $1000. I know because I just got one. They send you a form at the end of the year, and you are responsible for noting it in your taxes.

Same with $2000. Got one of those in Jan. In fact, the rep at the Lotto office in San Diego said anything up to $4999 gets the full amount. Above that, they subtract it from your check.

Congrats on the win!

• Do you receive a check as soon as you turn in the scratcher to the district office .
Zipppp12

that is incorrect about them withholding it. I won $1000 once on a scratcher and I just had to mail the scratcher to the lottery

commissioner and I received a check for $1000 in about a month.  

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

Have you already received the proceeds?  Did you receive the full $1,000 or something less after state and/or Federal taxes were withheld?

You will likely receive a form W2-G in the mail reporting this income to your state and to the IRS.

It will show whether state or Federal taxes were withheld.

The form is here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received the full $1,000 and they did not pay it at the time I turned the ticket in.  It was about 4 or 5 weeks when I received the full $1000 in the mail.  They did not withhold anything from the $1,000.

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like the W2-G will be for $1,000 and no taxes were withheld. 

Hope you have a record of losses to claim against the winnings.

Congratulations!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Baybay69

If I have a Ca scratcher winner for 2000 and lost my I I'd how would I be able to cash my ticket in

We don't know.  This is a tax user forum.  You would have to call or ask the CA Lottery.  Maybe it says how on their website

https://www.calottery.com/ 

@Baybay69 We answer questions about income tax and TurboTax software here,  Your question is not about taxes.   Look into replacing your ID--for many reasons aside from the winning ticket.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Baybay69 wrote:

If I have a Ca scratcher winner for 2000 and lost my I I'd how would I be able to cash my ticket in

Turbotax is not the state lottery, please contact them for more information. 

Yosh1981

I have won 1,000$  about 6 times and have always recieved the full $1,000 . At the end of the year you receive  a 1099 or something like that and add it to other income .

You will receive the full 1000 when you get your check and it will have a w-2 attached for you to file when you do your taxes. I won a 1000 and that's how I know. I hit 2500.00 day before Christmas but I have to wait til they reopen there offices to the public.

Jnapkins

California state lottery is commiting fraud. They do not honor a winning scratcher over $599 within the 6 to 8 week period,they now claim 10 to 12 weeks. I know this because I have waited 8 weeks for a $1,000 check in the mail  and I have made numerous attempts to contact the office and been told 10 to 12 weeks. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies