turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I got married in July 2019 and didn't change my W4 still say single for the 2019 taxes can I claim single or do I need to file as married?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If I got married in July 2019 and didn't change my W4 still say single for the 2019 taxes can I claim single or do I need to file as married?

No....you cannot file Single for your 2019 taxes unless you get divorced before the end of the year.

Your W-4 setting only sets your withholding level, it doesn't commit you to file the same status on your year-end tax return.

But for your 2019 tax filing, if you are still married at the end of the year, then you must file either Married Filing Joint (MFJ) with your spouse, or Married Filing Separate (MFS). 

MFJ is almost always easiest and most advantageous, even if one spouse had no income, while filing MFS requires two separate tax returns, and some credits/deductions are eliminated.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Carl
Level 15

The W-4 is completed by the employee and provided to the employer. THere is no other person or entity on this planet that gets or needs (or even cares about) the W-4. The W-4 is used by the employer to figure out how much that employer will withhold from each individual paycheck for taxes.  Weather you indicate on the W-4 that you are single with no kids or married to 5 wives with 60 kids *does* *not* *matter* come tax filing time. The W-4 is for the use of the employer *ONLY*, and that's it with no exceptions.

When you actually file your yearly tax return which is due Apr 15th each year, that's where you will tell the IRS your maritial status (single or married) your filing status (single, MFS or MFJ) and list any dependents you are qualified to claim. It has nothing to do with what you put on the W-4, and the IRS could care less what you put on the W-4.

Now if your W-4 is outdated and you did not have enough tax withheld from each of your paychecks to cover your tax liability at tax filing time, then when you file your yearly tax return you can expect ot owe the IRS more money. However, if more tax than necessary was withheld from each of your paychecks, then you can expect to get the excess withholding refunded to you by the iRS *when you file your tax return*.

Now for me, for my whole life I've always filled out the W-4 so my employer will withhold at the single rate. The fact that I'm married with two kids is irrelevant. I always had my employer withhold what I *KNOW* to be more than necessary because I didn't ever want to owe the IRS more money at tax filing time. I want the IRS to owe *ME* money in the form of a refund.

If you are  legally married at the end of 2019 your filing choices are married filing jointly or married filing separately.

Married Filing Jointly is usually better, even if one spouse had little or no income. When you file a joint return, you and your spouse will get the married filing jointly standard deduction of $24,400 (+$1300 for each spouse 65 or older)  You are eligible for more credits including education credits, earned income credit, child and dependent care credit, and a larger income limit to receive the child tax credit.

If you choose to file married filing separately, both spouses have to file the same way—either you both itemize or you both use standard deduction. Your tax rate will be higher than on a joint return. Some of the special rules for filing separately include: you cannot get earned income credit, education credits, adoption credits, or deductions for student loan interest. A higher percent of your Social Security benefits may be taxable. Your limit for SALT (state and local taxes and sales tax) will be only $5000 per spouse. In many cases you will not be able to take the child and dependent care credit. The amount you can contribute to a retirement account will be affected. If you live in a community property state, you will be required to provide additional information regarding your spouse’s income. ( Community property states:  AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, WI)

If  you are using online TurboTax to prepare your returns, you will need to prepare two separate returns and pay twice.

Best Wishes!

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-married-filing-jointly-vs-married-filing-separately

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901162-married-filing-separately-in-community-property-states

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What you claim on your W4 at work and on your tax return don't have to match.  If you claimed Single at work they just take out more withholding so you might get a refund on your tax return.  I'm married but claim Single at work to have more taken out to cover the increased tax on 2 incomes.

i would leave it Single at work and see how your tax return looks for 2019.  If you get a big refund you can change it to Married next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies