Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I filed my taxes in February and have a tax owed, how comes the irs.gov website doesn't show my return filed yet or a balance owed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If I filed my taxes in February and have a tax owed, how comes the irs.gov website doesn't show my return filed yet or a balance owed?

Once again the IRS is way behind in processing balance due returns and they have been put on the very back burner.  They are concentrating first on prior year balance due returns,  stimulus payments, returns having refunds, recalculating returns for the tax law changes among other items.   Eventually they will process balance due returns but it may not be this year.

The IRS does not have a website for the status of tax returns filed with taxes owed. 

The IRS does not send any communication to a tax payer when they receive a tax return.

If you have taxes owed, check your tax account on the IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

Did you pay the taxes owed?  If so, how were they paid?  If by credit card or by direct debit from your bank account the proof of payment is the credit card or bank statement showing the payment.  If paid by check then the canceled check is your proof of payment.

If you did not pay the taxes owed you can do so using the IRS payment website for Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

Did you efile?  I would double check your efile status here     

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/   

When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.

When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  What does it say?

I have already logged on the "my account" on the irs.gov website.  I also filed to be approved for a payment plan in February.  The website said that I was approved and that I would get an email from the IRS showing the full balance that I will owe with the penalties and interest.  I never received anything.  

Yes, I efiled and I received my filing status as accepted.  That's not the issue.  

OK ... the IRS sends no EMAILS ever so eventually when they get around to processing the balance due return they will be pleased to mail you a bill with penalties and interest added on.   Now to reduce the penalties and interest you could send in a payment in advance anytime ... you can mail one with a 1040-V  or go online and pay the IRS directly ... www.IRS.gov/payments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies