turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mikef648

If I am 25, and I am not eligible to be claimed by someone, but I accidentally clicked the box that I WILL BE CLAIMED BY SOMEONE ELSE, Will this effect my stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If I am 25, and I am not eligible to be claimed by someone, but I accidentally clicked the box that I WILL BE CLAIMED BY SOMEONE ELSE, Will this effect my stimulus check?

Yes.  It means that you won't receive one.  You should file an Amended Return.  Keep in mind, an amended return has to be printed and mailed, and they can take up to 8 weeks to process.  See following link for information on how to amend your 2019 return:

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

If and when you get your stimulus, by amending, please post here to give others some idea how long it takes.

if  you don't get the check, you will get it next year. 

"In essence, the stimulus check acts as an advance of your 2020 income tax refund. This means when you prepare your 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit. The credit on your 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020. If the amount you received as a stimulus check is less than the credit you are due, the difference will be included as part of your 2020 refund. If you have been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, you will not be required to return any excess amount".

Reference: https://www.dailylocal.com/news/coronavirus/what-does-the-stimulus-check-mean-for-your-taxes/article...

mikef648

Thank you for your reply. I went ahead and amended my return and printed it out. I am going to mail it in tomorrow. So do you think once it processes, it’ll be to late to get the 1200$ this year 

mikef648

I just don’t understand why the IRS can’t see that I’m 25 and just by being 25 and earning more then 4500 they would know I cannot be claimed. 

They're not looking to see if your return was filed correctly or not.  They have enough to do with just using the data you filed to determine the eligibility of a couple hundred million returns.  

mikef648

I am not saying they should look into each and every return. THEY SHOULD SEE AGE 25 and that determines it right there! 

Hal_Al
Level 15

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" [QR] in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related).

There is an age limit (24) for being a QC, but not for a QR.  There are plenty of people over 23 who can still be a dependent. 

See full rules at: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies