Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I was placed under a 45 day random review. Will my fee still come out of my taxes?

OK guys so I am here with you placed under the 45 day random review. I talked to an IRS agent for quite a while today. I was told that the 45 days from February 14 or 15 is incorrect. Your 45 days starts from the date on your letter. A letter is sent out whether something is wrong or it is just under review. Even if there is no errors. I told them I have not received a letter yet and I filed on February 1. She looked in my account and she said I should receive a letter by March 12 so those of you who have not received the letter yet don't worry it is coming.  I told her I am almost 100% positive I made no errors on my return. She said it was not flag for any errors just randomly picked out of "a hat" to do the 45 day review. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong guys. Unfortunately you do have to wait the 45 days from the date on your letter..  she stated if they find something wrong with in your return they will send you another letter telling you what you need to do to fix it. If you do not receive a second letter your return should be sent to you with in the 45 days...but like I said I called them today and it is March 6th  mind you I filed on February 1 and I still told them I didn't have a letter but she said it is coming.  I know this is stressful! But once you receive that letter be sure the process has started.  You can call the IRS as many times as you want just be mindful they do take down your phone number every single time you call and they put notes in the computer. This was my second time calling and I told her the first time a lady told me it was 45 days from the 14th. And she said oh no that is incorrect it is 45 days from the date on the letter. 

I ask that specific question because I read that there was so much confusion. 

So long story short you will receive a letter if you have not received it yet just be patient.  Continue to check on where's my refund once you receive the letter.  It did feel good however for her to tell me that she looked through my return and it was not flag for any errors...  she said she is receiving this call a lot it is only because of the new law that was recently passed it has nothing to do with it being processed through TurboTax I asked that question as well. It is with any e-file or even H&R Block. If you just so happen to be one of the lucky ones pulled out of the hat we are in the situation we are in.. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

35 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I was placed under a 45 day random review. Will my fee still come out of my taxes?

You should just hold tight to wait for the IRS information request or release of your refund.  They will honor the direct deposit that was requested by you assuming your refund stays the same. This is the usual protocol and rarely do they deviate from it unless the return is changed for some reason.

As you indicated, your return was a random selection, so no reason for concern.  When the deposit comes, if you requested the Refund Processing Service where your fees should be withheld, that will still take place.

If for some reason the refund is not received then you will be notified. All the details are provided in the TurboTax article below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4169801  

So after the 45days Will u get the bars back, or does the refund just go to your direct deposit

Same here, I filed Jan 22 with credits. I called this morning , rep told me my 45 days start on March 2 . Just a random pick ..no flags , no alerts , no letter being generated she seen. SHE DID SAY IF THEY PROCESS your review on March 2 and everything is ok then finds will be released but I'm just wondering could I get that lucky or has anyone been under 45day review and got refund before that?

WKins2
Expert Alumni

Yes, there have been people who have gone under the 45 day review and the review has been completed and a refund given before the 45 days is completed. If during the 45 day review you receive a letter from the IRS asking for more information, please make sure you send the required information to them as soon as possible since they will not release any refund without it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same here I was selected for a random review I spoke with the IRS woman on the phone she told me the review process takes 45 days or longer depending on when and if they get to yours in that 45 day. I filed my taxes on January 30th and I have still been waiting so I got concerned I called and she pacifically said that I have to wait the full 45 days and if I don't hear nothing on the 45th day to call up there and I have not gotten no letter to call them back my review process does not start till March 9th and she told me that they would not start it until then now I have a question is it only the people that's filed with TurboTax or has this happened to everyone and do we actually have to wait the full 45 days or can we get are refund back sooner I am very so much aggravated because I have a 1 year old that I have to take care of and this has put me in a big bind

WKins2
Expert Alumni

The random reviews is just that, random, and it can happen to any taxpayer regardless of the tax preparation software they use, even if they use a professional to file their taxes. 

When you receive any letter from the IRS please read it carefully and make sure that you send in any documents they are requesting ASAP as to not have any further delay of your review or refund being released.

Hang tight, it might not take 45 days. Keep checking where's my refund, and calling the IRS to check in to see how they are progressing. 

I was also placed under this 45 day review, and called the IRS yesterday, Wednesday, 2/26/20 and they just said a letter was coming, and there was no update, and gave me a brief "this is what it could be they are reviewing" I called again today, Thursday the 27th because I had more questions.. such as can you receive your refund before this 45 days, and, when does this 45 days start.. first, the woman told me today, my letter was mailed out the week of 2/21. And correct the 45 days starts from the date on your letter.. she did state they can finish your review before the 45 days is up. So between calling yesterday and today, there was no undated, and then today they had an update stating it was in for review now.. so I guess they are already reviewing them, even though letters have not been received by many of us whom are going threw this 45 day review.  I was also advised to check where's my refund every day, because that's when they'll update it to approved, verses accepted. I look forward to reading more comments and info that come in from others in Regards to this nonsense situation.

So I have called the irs everyday past 3 days and finally today I get a answer they said that our is most likely going to be chosen for review on March 9th and 45 days from March 9th if we haven’t received it to call back, this is the first year getting the child care credit and it’s very stressful so we may get it within the 45 days if they find nothing wrong? How long does a review take 

So I called the irs again to get a better understanding with this 45 day reviews and the woman I spoke to told me that there is no randomly selection review if you have a review their is a reason for it she said for first time filers and people that do a paper return they are selected for random reviews which is funny cause I was a first time filer last year it's just lies they  dont tell you the reason until you get your letter in the mail my question is my girlfriend  did hers on the 27th of jan and she got her return back on the 25th on February I did mine on 30th of jan and mine is still processing and it was simple 2 returns and my child we both filed the same way last year she has a child and I have a child it just seem very sketchy  plus the women on the phone told me my review doesn't not even start until March 9th 2020 and I will have to wait until April the 23rd so I asked her will I have to wait the full 45 days and she said the review department is tricky and they like to wait until the last week to determine a decision my personal opinion is that they are so behind they keep pushing people back for reviews to buy more time also I went and had my return look at by a tax professional and he told me my return was accurate as can be this is only my second time filing with turbotax now is this something with turbotax because it seems there more people with reviews than some of these other companies just wondering also because my tax return is so accurate none of this make any sense at all

I would very much like people to help me understand this!! Please advise...filed JAN22 thru TT ..i also was approved for a 250 advance which i recieved 3days later when my refund was accepted...my refund status went from recieved and processing to Path act message to BACKto recieved and it is being processed on feb 16th ...NO ERROR MESSAGE, NO BARS ..NOTHING BUT THAT MESSAGE.   so i called 2weeks ago they said i was randomly reviewd and wouldnt start until MARCH 2 ..there IS NO LETTER BEING GENERATED OR CODES showing just 45 day review...SO, i called tax advocate last week , and assigned advocate however i didnt hear from her...

Called today , IRS , she said my review is still showing with nothing being generated as for letter...I DO HAVE BOTH CREDITS AND AS FOR MY IDENTITY I GET A PERSONALIZED PIN FROM IRS TO PUT ON MY TAX RETURN...

WHATS going on , anybody know or went thru this? Am i gonna wait 45 days? Could they release after today (review date march 2) 

I never got letter! And review , i filed jan 22 and accepted thru them n turbo 23..STARTING review 2 months AFTER I FILED?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I understand it can be very frustrating.  However, there is no rhyme or reason for how returns are selected or not.  The steps you are taking are the best.  Continue contacting the IRS for updates as they are the only ones who can provide accurate information. 

IRS processing time and refund status

Once your returns are submitted and accepted, TurboTax has no authority to check any sort of updates.

In the same boat. I got reviewed. And still haven't received my letter. And I filed back in late January. 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Once you reach the 45-day mark and have not gotten any correspondence then you should contact the IRS to get an update.  Continue to do so for each deadline the IRS posts/notifies you of.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies