Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've been trying to upload my Coinbase transaction .csv files, however turbotax keeps giving error messages "no headers found". Is there a template?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I've been trying to upload my Coinbase transaction .csv files, however turbotax keeps giving error messages "no headers found". Is there a template?

Same issue here. Have been referred to this in all other help threads, but that link is outdated; Coinbase no longer provides a gain/loss calculator, but redirects to a third party called cointracker, which defeats the purpose of having coinbase as a partner to turbotax. 

Any ideas on how to make this work?

I have also been having the same issue.

Initially, I thought the issue was that coinbase's CSV file contains 7 rows of additional data before the header row in the CSV.  I removed those rows (and the extra newline from the end of the file), so that the only remaining data in the CSV is the header row and all the data.

I have also tried downloading (from Coinbase) and uploading (to TurboTax) one asset (e.g. BTC) at a time (instead of All Assets), and get the same "No headers found in this file" error.

It seems to me like TurboTax isn't expecting the data in the format that Coinbase provides it.

Hopefully the folks at turbo tax can fix this issue, OR: Give detailed documentation on the format that TurboTax expects the CSV.

I'd much rather massage the format of the CSV than to manually import/calculate all my cryptocurrency transactions for the year.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

You can use the link provided below for assistance with uploading your Coinbase transactions into TurboTax. I hope this helps:

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for having a look Tiffany.  I initially tried using the link as you suggested, however the instructions provided are out of date.  When uploading any .csv transactions from Coinbase to Turbotax, I'm given an error message each time saying that there are no headers in the file.  

Hi @TiffanyL ,

As I said in my previous response: I have followed those instructions, and I still have issues importing from Coinbase. Have you tried those instructions yourself?

My first attempt was to follow those instructions, as-is. It failed, saying that the headers couldn't be found in the CSV.

My second attempt was to modify the CSV to remove the extra 7 rows at the top of the CSV (so that the csv started with the header row). It failed with the same error.

My third attempt was to repeat the first attempt (with the 7 extra rows still in place), but with only one wallet (BTC), instead of All Assets. It failed with the same error.

My fourth attempt was to repeat the third attempt, but to remove the 7 extra rows again. It failed with the same error.

If you can provide a spec for the format of the CSV, or an example CSV (that has been verified to be importable), that would be very helpful.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We are unable to resolve technical issues within this forum, as we cannot see what the error is live. It would be best to click here to contact customer service so they can see the issue live. 

FYI -

I just spoke to a TurboTax support rep over the phone (very quick process, they called me back after I posted my question via chat). It looks like Intuit doesn't have anything more up to date from Coinbase, and they suggested (apologetically) that I might try asking Coinbase about this.

Coinbase has this page describing using TurboTax, but doesn't say anything about exporting:

https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/taxes-reports-and-financial-services/taxes/using-turbotax-or-c...

I suspect that Coinbase expects their customers to use a 3rd party transaction tracker. They mention CoinTracker, which has a free tier (up to 25 transactions), which I plan to look into.

@skeptict Thank you so much for sharing, super helpful!

Coinbase no longer supports the exporting of Capital Gains. This is why they are advising customers to use Cointracker. Screenshot 2021-03-17 233650.jpgCointracker provides the option to download TWO types of CSV files, Transaction History and Capital Gains. The Capital Gains CSV file is the one that will upload into TT correctly. This can be found by going to the "Taxes" tab at the top of the screen and selecting "Tax Center." Then, scroll down until you see "Tax Reports" on the right hand side of the screen. Click on "CSV Reports" and download "Capital Gains CSV." This should result in a successful upload of your transactions into TurboTax

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ for more information. 

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies