Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

I've been trying to contact the irs but i can't get through is there another way?

@Benjerman31 Try calling them when they first open, or much later in the day. Some have been able to reach a representative that way. Please click here for IRS contact information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've been trying to contact the irs but i can't get through is there another way?

UPDATE: I finally went into my local IRS office (St.Louis) without an appointment.  I was able to make an appointment for two days later to meet with one of their experts.  All of my problems were finally solved after one short (half an hour) meeting. I know they tell you not to go in without an appointment but that's what finally got this done for me. 

Before, if you waited long enough, you could talk to a person.  Now, it tells you that your return is being processed and if there is an issue, you will receive a letter.  Can  you imagine trying to straighten that out when you can’t talk to a rep.  I live in the mountains in Nevada - no IRS office anywhere near here.

I have called everyday for two weeks.  Now the message is saying”your return is still being processed” which we already know and, if there is an issue, you will receive a letter.  Can you imagine how long that would take and how long it would take to straighten out. I am complaining to my Congressman and Senator.  These posts are on the Turbo Tax website, not the IRS..

I am complaining to my Congressman and Senator.  These posts are on the Turbo Tax site, not the IRS site.  Congress needs to know this is going on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pockynon  what are you trying to get in touch with the IRS in regard to? If it is simply because your return is still processing - talking to an agent won't help. They can't do anything, and neither can you, until you get that letter that explains what they may be looking for (if anything).  Many returns are still processing because it's just taking a long time to process, period, and not because there is anything you need to (or can) do.  If you have a hardship and need a refund pushed through your Tax Advocate office can help (a separate entity) but they are also WAY backed up.  You can find your Tax Advocate here https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/ 

Yheckman
Returning Member

Have been trying to call for three days. Says not taking calls and hangs up.  It has BEEN  8 WEEKS since acceptance of electronic filing. Set up to direct deposit.  This is very unusual and the site tells me to call but calls are not being accepted

Daniel & Mary 

joint return

Yheckman
Returning Member

EVERY THING KEEPS TELLING ME TO CALL BUT ON;Y GET MESSAGE "NOT TAKING CALLS AT THIS TIME.

Yheckman
Returning Member

THAT PHONE NUMBER IS  NOT TAKING CALLS  AT THIS TIME AND HANGS UP.

Yheckman
Returning Member

NO HELP. THE PHONE NUMBER  [phone number removed]

-1040 IS NOT WORKING, MESSAGE SAYS NOT TAKING CALLS AT THIS TIME" AND HANGS UP.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, the IRS is its own entity and we cannot really determine why there are issues with their phone lines.

Here is another link with information you can use to try contact the IRS or get answers to some of the more common questions.

IRS operations

WHYGODWHY

They did this exact thing to me last year but I was able to get through. I got my letter two weeks ago and haven't been able to get through after hundreds of attempts to call using the information given. I have tried to call and make an appointment with a local office. I have tried to call using the instructions listed above. After the weekend it will be past my 30 days and there is no explanation as to why this has happened now two years in a row. Why can't they tell me why I need to verify all of a sudden? 

THAT'S NOT SUSPICIOUS AT ALL.

I digress... It won't let me log in online with the information I used when I created it last year and will not send me an email after numerous attempts to have a password reset link sent to me. I have my email saved from last year when they set it up with me. I have been trying to get this to work for over two months. I filed as soon as I got my documents. This is absolutely ludicrous.

Multiple people I personally know are experiencing the same issues and not one of them has been able to log in or reach someone. The IRS is aware that the average tax payer cannot afford a lawyer and beyond that is unable to navigate tax law well enough to defend themselves in court. This is common practice. Do with that information what you will. 

Panicking is appropriate.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@AHNAHANNA  The taxpayer advocate service was created to help individuals deal with the IRS.  See Taxpayer Advocate | Internal Revenue Service

You can:

GenXer81

I have tried this method and every other and after selecting all other questions twice it tells me "sorry due to extremely high call volume we cant answer you call. Try later or our next business day." It tries to transfer you to a person but the automated system picks up and tells you that the call volume is too high and cuts you off. Its been over 2 months and i still havent got my return and they make it impossible to contact them. People WORK refunds shouldnt take a backseat to economic stimulus payments. This is crazy.

GenXer81

i agree the automated system just cuts you off you cant get thru. I have tried to create an online account and maybe get some answers that way. Now i have to wait 5-7 business days for them to send me an activation code via postal service because they can't verify my phone number i had for 6 years. This is absolutely ridiculous.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies