turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’ve been paying the irs payments for 2018 taxes. What do I do for my 2019 taxes when I still owe for 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I’ve been paying the irs payments for 2018 taxes. What do I do for my 2019 taxes when I still owe for 2018?

If you have an installment agreement with the IRS for paying your 2018 taxes, you must continue to pay the installments as agreed.

For 2019, you will file your tax return and either have a refund or a tax due balance. If you are unable to pay your tax due for 2019, you can negotiate with the IRS to obtain a new installment agreement for 2019.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
stpejp57

will the IRS automatically apply my 2019 refund to my outstanding balance?

Yes.  They will automatically keep any refunds you get.  You don't have to tell them.

clcmcn03
Returning Member

how do yo u create a new installment agreement for 2019

kmtroxel

do i enter the payments made as taxes paid on my 2019 return???

NOT on the federal return ... if your state allows it then it will be entered in the state interview ... there are only a couple of states that will.   And you can only enter the tax payments not any penalty or interest. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies