turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received an email stating there was an error that could effect my 2020 tax return. is this a valid email?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies

I received an email stating there was an error that could effect my 2020 tax return. is this a valid email?

What was the source of the email?   Who sent the email?   No one in this user forum has access to your account or your tax return, and we do not know anything about emails that you received.  Provide some details.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Maybe, Turbo Tax has sent out emails if you need to amend.  What is the error?

that's what is frustrating its very vague. just says to review my 2020 return but does not tell me what to look for. 

Dear Valued TurboTax customer,

We’re contacting you because we identified an error that may have impacted your 2020 tax return. We fixed the issue in TurboTax and recommend that you verify your 2020 tax data to ensure you are getting every dollar you deserve.

There are no additional fees for checking your TurboTax return or for preparing an amendment. Just follow the detailed instructions here.

We’re here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at [phone number removed] (Monday through Friday, 5 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time) to reach a tax expert who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Let the expert know you’re calling about: “September 2021 Federal Data Transfer Issue”

AK4714
Returning Member

How do I know if I am impacted by this error?

Follow the instructions or call for help as directed : 

There are no additional fees for checking your TurboTax return or for preparing an amendment. Just follow the detailed instructions here.

We’re here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at [phone number removed] (Monday through Friday, 5 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time) to reach a tax expert who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Let the expert know you’re calling about: “September 2021 Federal Data Transfer Issue”

I received same notice.  However, my "issue" is "September 2021 Carryover Issue."

Yes that's about the link I posted above

TrashmanL

I had the exact same email. Unfortunately, the linked instructions are on how to file an amended return IF you were impacted by the error. It does not explain how to determine if you were impacted by the error and need to file an amended return or what exactly needs to be changed in the amended return. So, how do we figure that out?

TrashmanL

OK. Shortly after posting my last comment, I decided to take the plunge and click on "Amend my Return" in Turbo tax, and one of the first screens asks "Why are you amending your return" and one of the options says "TurboTax Sent me an email" - if you click on that and answer the questions, it will walk you through the process.

Before you open the return save a PDF & .taxfile  for your records then open the return using the amendment process to allow the correction to be made.  Then see if there is a difference ... if you need further assistance contact TT support as directed :   https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amend-tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return-to-fix-the-turbotax... 

i doubt it. check with the irs. i don't think they do that. alternatively, you could respond and if they ask for ANY information, it's a scam and report it to irs

@udontluvme wrote:

i doubt it. check with the irs. i don't think they do that. alternatively, you could respond and if they ask for ANY information, it's a scam and report it to irs

See this - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amend-tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return-to-fix-the-turbotax...

JJREICH

IRS couldn't confirm Sharon's identity (my wife, filed jointly) . They want her AGI as shown on our 1040, line 8:b. That an "ours", not just hers. Is that what I use?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies