turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

actwalt

I purchased a new laptop. Can I download the turbotax program to it and then transfer data from my desk top?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I purchased a new laptop. Can I download the turbotax program to it and then transfer data from my desk top?

Yes. You can install TurboTax CD/download on up to five computers.

Can I install TurboTax on more than one computer?

Your tax data will be stored on your old computer (not online). Find your tax data file and email it to yourself, upload it or save it to a portable device such as a USB flash drive and copy it onto your new computer.

Find your tax data file (.tax file) in Windows

How do I move my tax data file to another computer?

How did you install the program originally on the Desktop?  If you used the CD you may have a problem.  If you downloaded it then it should work.  You download it the same way.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2017, .tax2018 or .tax2019 or .tax2020 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.  They only support the last 3 years so you might not be able to update older years or download any state programs you need.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

I don't recommend emailing tax info to yourself, as it could be hacked.

JB1972

I installed TT2021 on my new computer successfully. Then moved the data files over with USB. It is a 'Home & Business 2021 w/ State. When I open the *.tax2021 file it advises me to install my state(CA). After I 'checked the box', it advises me the state is fine. But it still does not open??

Thanks,

JB1972

Did you get the state program downloaded and installed?  After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW). Enter some basic information, then go to the state tab and download the state program. Then try to open your existing return, go to FILE - OPEN

JB1972

Thanks - I'll try the re-install idea.

I am having simular issues, I have multi-state taxes and I paid for them online. However, whenever I try to install turbotax on a new machine and import my taxes, TT ask me to again enter my credit card payment info for the states that I already paid before, and looks like it will charge me another $45/state for e-filing which doesn't make sense as it is the same return just imported to a new computer. Anyone knows how to avoid double charging for states taxes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies