Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to file my state tax without my federal tax. Can I do this?

I filed my Federal Tax and now want to do my state but it wants to refile my Federal as well. What do I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CrystalS2

Regrettably, your unable to just file your state return. The TurboTax State program is designed to pull (transfer) information from your federal return. For this reason, TurboTax State is not sold as a standalone tax-preparation product.

You can use TurboTax to prepare and file your federal return without your state – but not the other way around.

If you already filed your federal return outside of TurboTax and just need to do your state, you can either:

1. Contact your State Department of Revenue or visit their website to use their tax-filing service or to download and print out their tax forms; or
  2. Re-create your federal return in the TurboTax software or TurboTax Online but don't file it. Then prepare and file your state return using TurboTax.
    • You'll need to paper-file your state return, as state returns cannot be e-filed separately.
Need more assistance? Feel Free to comment below
Hope this information is Helpful

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CrystalS2

Regrettably, your unable to just file your state return. The TurboTax State program is designed to pull (transfer) information from your federal return. For this reason, TurboTax State is not sold as a standalone tax-preparation product.

You can use TurboTax to prepare and file your federal return without your state – but not the other way around.

If you already filed your federal return outside of TurboTax and just need to do your state, you can either:

1. Contact your State Department of Revenue or visit their website to use their tax-filing service or to download and print out their tax forms; or
  2. Re-create your federal return in the TurboTax software or TurboTax Online but don't file it. Then prepare and file your state return using TurboTax.
    • You'll need to paper-file your state return, as state returns cannot be e-filed separately.
Need more assistance? Feel Free to comment below
Hope this information is Helpful
raernst
Returning Member

When you say the following bullet point, are you saying if I already filed my federal I can't file my state a week or so later?  Also when trying to file my state, it is pulling in what appears to be incorrect inherited holdings that were sold from my federal return.  It is asking me to indicate an acquisition date, which my understanding is that "inherited" is the date of acquisition at least that's what my federal return said was appropriate.   

raernst
Returning Member

Thanks for the response.  Can you assist with the following:  When trying to file my state, it is pulling in what appears to be incorrect inherited holdings that were sold (from my Turbo Tax federal return).  It is asking me to indicate an acquisition date, which my understanding is that "inherited" is the date of acquisition at least that's what my federal return said was appropriate.  

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure why the Federal purchase/acquisition date would be different.  But on inherited items that date is the date of passing of the individual leaving the inherited property.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
raernst
Returning Member

So are you saying I just update each holding that was sold and change the acquisition date from inheirited to the date of death on the state filing?  If it is a stock, bond, muni, or EFT, change them all?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax help article for assistance. 

How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-e-file-my-state-after-i-already-filed-my-fede...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies