turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to add income to my return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Did you already efile your return, or is it still in the preparation phase?

What kind of income?

Yes I already efiled .. I need to add a 1040x which its my unemployment compensation

@userashynycole2008 wrote:

Yes I already efiled .. I need to add a 1040x which its my unemployment compensation

Did you mean to say instead that you have a 1099-G that you need to add to your already-filed return by using an amended return Form 1040X?

If you already efiled a 2020 return, you'll have to wait a bit.  There is nothing you can do until you find out if the IRS either accepts or rejects the efiled return. Unfortunately, due to late tax law changes the IRS will not even open up to start processing until February 12, 2021, except for a few returns they pull early for testing purposes. In the meantime the return will sit on TurboTax servers with a "pending" status but cannot be retrieved to cancel or correct. So unless yours is one of the very few returns pulled early by the IRS, you won't know anything until February 12 or soon thereafter.

If you have errors on your return or need to add something, you would be lucky if the IRS rejects your efiled return. If they reject it, then you can simply correct everything, add the additional income form, and resubmit it.

If they accept your original efiled return, however, then then only way to correct it is through a formal amended return Form 1040X.

So in the meantime do NOT make any changes in your return until you find out if it's accepted or rejected by the IRS.   Again, if you're lucky, perhaps it will reject.   But if accepted, and you end up having to prepare an amended return, the amended return process has to start out exactly as it was when originally filed.

@ userashynycole2008 

ADDENDUM:

I'll go ahead and tell you this, just in case.

If it turns out that your original return is accepted by the IRS on or soon after February 12, here's a FAQ on how to amend an online return that has been accepted.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

NOTE:   The Form 1040X will not be available for use in Online TurboTax until February 18, 2021.

Do not use those steps, i.e., do not start an amended return, until you find out if your original return is accepted or rejected.   If it's rejected, that will be easier for you to fix and resubmit.

I just file 15 minutes ago and then realized I did not report my Social Security income.  What can I do now?

@sdarby1224 wrote:

I just file 15 minutes ago and then realized I did not report my Social Security income.  What can I do now?

Once a tax return has been filed it cannot be changed, canceled or retrieved

You will have to wait for the IRS to either Accept or Reject your filed federal tax return.
If the return is rejected you can make the necessary changes and e-file again.
If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

The federal amended tax return, Form 1040-X, is estimated to be finalized and available in TurboTax on 02/24/2022

Thank you for your help. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies