turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I hired a paid tax preparer but not sure if she will file in time, what will happen if we both file the same return?

I was advised to hire a tax professional and I did but not I am not sure if she will be able to file before 15th Oct deadline - as she is not at all in touch since last 2 days. 

Now if I file the return myself and she also file at her end (both efile) what will happen?

will it trigger any audit or something ..(they both will be identical returns, no change a at all accept that she uses UTAX software and  I will use turbotax.

How soon after filing we get a confirmation from IRS that they received it ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

I hired a paid tax preparer but not sure if she will file in time, what will happen if we both file the same return?

contact preparer to find out if your return is ready to SUBMIT.

and to get the service you are paying for.

only one e-File is permitted by IRS, not two.

answer above revised.

Expect to be charged if your preparer does the work and goes to E-File and then finds it REJECTED because you already filed.

The IRS will accept only one e-file with your Social Security number---any other attempt will be rejected.  If neither one of you e-files by the October 15 deadline then the return has to be printed, signed and mailed.  You do not say if you are trying to use a "preparer" who is a TurboTax Live or Full Service preparer---or if is is someone from somewhere else.   If you are using TurboTax services you will be charged for the service.  Online  TurboTax fees are for using the software--not for e-filing, so you pay for the service even if the return has to be filed by mail.    Or even if you attempt to e-file and the return is rejected.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@curious4913 wrote:

I was advised to hire a tax professional and I did but not I am not sure if she will be able to file before 15th Oct deadline - as she is not at all in touch since last 2 days. 

Now if I file the return myself and she also file at her end (both efile) what will happen?

You cannot both e-file. Whichever one files first will be accepted, and the other will be rejected. There will be no confusion, and it will not trigger an audit, because the IRS will get only one tax return - whichever one is filed first.

You cannot e-file with TurboTax after October 15, but the tax professional using uTax will be able to e-file for a few weeks after that (until the IRS shuts down e-filing, which is usually sometime in November).

@rjs wrote:

@curious4913 wrote:

You cannot both e-file. Whichever one files first will be accepted, and the other will be rejected. There will be no confusion, and it will not trigger an audit, because the IRS will get only one tax return - whichever one is filed first.

You cannot e-file with TurboTax after October 15, but the tax professional using uTax will be able to e-file for a few weeks after that (until the IRS shuts down e-filing, which is usually sometime in November).

Also note, the penalty for late filing is a percentage of what you owe.  If you are expecting a refund, there is no actual penalty for filing late.

Now she said she efiled yesterday ie. October 12 but I don't 100% trust her.

But I did not received any email from either her office or her software UTAX or IRS confirming the same.

How soon after efiling we receive a confirmation email from IRS that they received it?

Also what is the best way to confirm she actually did efiled?

There is no point asking her ...because she has lied before and she has avoided this question before.

She said via email that she efiled but if she did not efiled - are there any consequences to her? because she is an enrolled agent?

@curious4913 wrote:

Now she said she efiled yesterday ie. October 12 but I don't 100% trust her.

But I did not received any email from either her office or her software UTAX or IRS confirming the same.

How soon after efiling we receive a confirmation email from IRS that they received it?

Also what is the best way to confirm she actually did efiled?

There is no point asking her ...because she has lied before and she has avoided this question before.

She said via email that she efiled but if she did not efiled - are there any consequences to her? because she is an enrolled agent?

You will have to ask someone who uses uTax.  We can only guess.  My guess is that the accountant will be informed but you will not receive a direct email from uTax.  You will never receive a direct e-mail from the IRS.  

All e-filed tax returns are sent to one or more data warehouses.  The IRS connects to the data warehouse and downloads (or drains) the tax returns once per day Monday-Friday at this time of year.  Then, an acknowledgement that the return was accepted or rejected can take up to 2 more work days.  So if your return was submitted by the provider on Tuesday, they should have an acknowledgment from the IRS by Friday.  

The IRS "where's my refund" web site should then have your return listed as received, no later than Monday (1 working day after the acknowledgement), but it might be listed at the IRS web site sooner than that.

The IRS is not going to email you--ever.   Ask the preparer for some sort of electronic postmark to prove she filed it.  She should also provide you with a copy of your return.   If you are getting a refund you should be able to track your refund on the IRS site once they put it into the system (which could take awhile since they are backlogged).   If you are getting a refund there is no penalty for filing late anyway.   If you owe tax due and the return is not filed timely, you might get a bill for interest or a late filing penalty.   What did you do to pay your tax due--if you owe?   If you owe, then nothing will show up on the IRS refund site.  That site only shows information for returns when you are getting a refund.

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2020 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

if your return was e-Filed, it should show up on Where's my refund page in a few days at most, even though IRS will tell you it takes a long time to show up.

She sent us a one word email saying that she efiled on 12th Oct 21 and next day or so I could verify on IRS that they have received it. But now its on received status for about a week now.  What does this mean?

If am not mistaken - after received notification - we get another notification that they have accepted ...but we have not received such notification.

Current status shows 

We have received your tax return and it is being processed.

If you filed a complete and accurate tax return, your refund should be issued within 21 days of the received date. However, processing may take longer under certain circumstances.

That is all you are going to hear.   If the IRS site is showing the return has been received then they did accept it.   Now you can just track it on that site.   Be aware that many refunds are taking a very long time to be processed, so you should not count on a fast refund.

@curious4913 

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is opening mail within normal timeframes and all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to April 2021 have been processed if the return had no errors or did not require further review. As of July 31, 2021, we had 13.8 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to April 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper,  it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

update 10/15/21 as of 10/9/21 - unprocessed individual returns are now down to 7.1 million.  wonder what the number is as of 10/15 because I know from years of experience that many taxpayers wait to file until 10/15.  apparently doesn't include 2.8 million amended returns. 

but the IRS is saying

Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns with errors and those returns requiring special handling such as those that require correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. 

Does this mean that taxpayers who filed very late may have to wait until 2/15/2022 to get their refunds. is it being overly optimistic? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies