turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tricke1
Returning Member

I have windows 7--can I use any turbo tax with windows 7 in 2020??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

42 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you can use the CD/Download TurboTax software for 2019 tax returns in Windows 7 when you file your 2019 tax return in 2020. They don't recommend it because of security concerns, since Windows 7 will no longer get security updates. But it will work.

TurboTax CD/Download software for 2020 tax returns, which you will file in 2021, will not work in Windows 7.

You can also use TurboTax Online in Windows 7.

See the following FAQs for more information.

Windows 7 end of support impact for TurboTax

What if I don't want to upgrade from Windows 7?

I am unable to upgrade to Windows 10. Where can I get Turbo Tax Deluxe 2019 for Windows 7?

You can buy 2019 desktop program here

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/ 

Or you can start an Online return when they open in December

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/ 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@suetif wrote:

I am unable to upgrade to Windows 10. Where can I get Turbo Tax Deluxe 2019 for Windows 7?

There is only one version of TurboTax Deluxe 2019 for Windows. It will work in any version of Windows from Windows 7 through Windows 10. There isn't a special version for Windows 7. Just purchase the regular 2019 TurboTax Deluxe for Windows, at the link that VolvoGirl gave you above.

hscreen1
Returning Member

uh, just installed tt on windows 7 and activation screen is blank.

spoke with tech support and they tell me I MUST upgrade to win10.

WTF?

This is outrageous.

the install says its ok to use on win7 but no one changed the activation screen.

good luck win7 users.

hscreen1
Returning Member

not true.

i just tried to activate my tt on win7 and it only shows a white screen

they tell me i MUST upgrade to win10

wtf?

GabiU
Level 15

We'll keep you updated as we learn more about your specific issue.
Please make sure you go through these steps: Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows just in case it's something to do with Windows itself. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hscreen1
Returning Member

Hi  thx

i build pcs

my system is fine

i am not being defensive

i was on the phone with the tech for over an hour

they used a “glance” to see my computer.

They took alot of screenshots

they have me reinstall several times in different ways

it is the code that stops the install on the activation screen

even though it first says that win7 is frowned upon but if you want to use it with win7 then go ahead

it is version level 0101 of the tt home and business 

They finally told me that they will not support win 7 this year instead of next

Didn't they test this?

I tried to upgrade to win 10 on one of my computers and it won't upgrade so now I have to try a full clean install

Not really something I want to do

I really have no time for all this

I may switch to taxcut

All because I trusted tt not to screw me and give us some time.   Wait until others find this

hscreen1
Returning Member

I am the guy with the blank activation screen.  I called them again this morning and they told me that a tech person would call be from 12-2. So, like a fool I believed them and came home and waited.  NADA. I wound up running the program in SAFE MODE and was allowed to enter the activation code and then went back to regular mode and it worked fine.  It did abourt a few times on exit but I said to ignore the abort in the future.

I am not sure I want to go thru this each year.  It is always something.  Doing taxes is enough headache. But now the road to doing them is full of this stuff.  Good luck out there. 

pek1

Turbo Tax: I too have been unable to install Turbo Tax on my Windows 7 machine. Either fix it or give us out money back. You did not announce in advance that you wouldn't support Windows 7 so you MUST either support it or cough up the dough. Period. You have competitors who are easier to work with,so this high-handed stuff won't wash.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@pek1 TurboTax does support Windows 7, and the vast majority of Windows 7 users have been able to install and run it successfully. To resolve your specific problem, please do one or more of the following.

1.  See if any of the tips in the following troubleshooting FAQ resolve your problem.

Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows

2.  Post a separate new question of your own, and describe exactly what happens when you try to install TurboTax. "Unable to install" is just not enough information for anyone to be able to help you. If you get an error message, what is the exact message? In your new question, also tell us whether you are installing from a CD or a download, and where you purchased it.

Do not continue the conversation here in this thread. Provide the requested information in a new question of your own.

3.  If you prefer, you can call TurboTax support for help. To call support, go to the following link to get a phone number to call, during the hours that support is open. Starting tomorrow, January 6, the hours are Monday - Friday, 5:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. Pacific time. At that link, select your product from the list, enter a brief description of the problem, click Continue, and follow the instructions on the screen to get a phone number to call.

Contact us

Hi,

I have  Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.  And TurboTax 2019 Home and Business.

I have not installed Turbo 2019 yet.  Trying to first obtain info.  This is scary.  And I really don't have time to make transition to Win. 10 yet.

If I am successful to install TT2019 on Win.7,

Question:  Will the Turbo program continue to receive the updates they provide for downloading?  And there are usually a multitude of updates during this time of year.

I mean the TurboTax software Updates.  Not Windows or anything else  Updates.

Thank you so much!

@massachusetts1 Yes, the TurboTax software for 2019 installed on a Win 7 personal computer will receive the TurboTax software updates as they are released.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@massachusetts1  Yes, TurboTax for 2019 will continue to receive TurboTax software updates when it is installed in Windows 7. Microsoft is discontinuing Windows software updates for Windows 7, but that does not affect TurboTax updates in Windows 7.

Please note that TurboTax and Turbo are two different products. You are asking about TurboTax, not Turbo.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies