Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have received notice of a price increase after Feb 28, I started my return a month ago and am atill waiting for 1099s from a broker. I do not expect a price increase

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
CathyB

I have received notice of a price increase after Feb 28, I started my return a month ago and am atill waiting for 1099s from a broker. I do not expect a price increase

If you are not ready to file your return yet because you are still waiting on the Form 1099-S, but would like to take advantage of the early-season pricing, you can pay for TurboTax Online Federal and State products before the price increase takes effect on Thursday, March 1st at 12:00 AM PST. Here's how:

• Click Take me to my return
  • In the left-hand navigation bar, click on File
  • Next to Step 1, click on Start
  • Review the details of your order
  • Scroll to the bottom and click on View Payment Options
  • You can pay via Credit Card to lock in reduced pricing for the Federal and State products.

Any additional state products or services you add at a later point will be subject to the current price at that time.

bot

This method of locking in the Turbotax price before the increase was not well publicized.  It was intentionally done to 'force' as many people as possible to pay the higher price.  Through no fault of their own, many customers have not received all their forms by Feb. 28.  In previous years, the price increase went into effect in mid-March.  I suggest that Turbotax extend this 'lock-in' price offer by another week to those who have started their return but have not yet filed.  This will be good customer service and lessen the perception that Turbotax exploits its customers.
-anana214

I agree, there should be more transparency regarding price increases.  I was fully expecting to pay one price when I began my return.  Once I received all my necessary documentation and got to the payment stage, I was confused as to why it shot up $20. I received no notice of a price increase, nor was there clear information that prices were for a limited time.  For this reason and the reduced ease of navigation through the updated version (for me anyway) are prompting me to use another tax software next year.
Julia2

Completely agree with @$anana214 , there is no notice of price raise beforehand. There is a almost 3 times difference in the price before I started and finish filing. Definitely pushes customers away from using Turbo Tax in the future.

I can't believe this. Without notice, I am having to pay extra now to file????? Unacceptable. No where was this price increase listed here and I checked my email too - no notice of this increase after stating a price up front while I was saving to file for today. I think this is a classic case of switch and baiting. I am thinking of redoing my taxes now on another software program because of this - well two others because I would have to redo my taxes for my son too.
bot

Since Intuit owns Turbotax and is based in California, I wonder if Intuit has violated any of the state's fair pricing practices?   Anyone in CA comment?

It has been like this for many years.
 "Actual prices are determined at the time of print or e-file and are subject to change without notice."
aifa1

When I started using TurboTax from the Connex Credit Union web site it was one price, but now that I am ready to file it is more expensive. Intuit says that "Start for Free", but SweetieJean, it doesn't openly say what you quoted. I THINK THIS BEHAVIOR CALLS FOR A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT! Any attorneys reading this?

Start for Free also means you can start entering your data into the program without paying the fees.

This is a really BS move from Intuit and is representative of how Intuit views their customer base----as cattle bred for slaughter.    Intuit knows full well that the majority of people aren't ready to file but they word it to make it sound like it's just another small decision and nothing to worry about.  Gonna start checking out other options for this year's filing using my 99% completed return as a template to transfer everything over.  Tax Slayer?  WaveApps?  So many options now.

dkruse473

Just wanted to let Intuit know that I will not be using Turbo Tax in future.  This feels like extortion to raise prices in the middle of tax season.  My God is there no limit to corporate greed and predatory capitalism?

Seriously...this is the first year I tried TurboTax Business + TurboTax individual in 8 years, moving away from accountant. The experience has been horrible. From the update links not going anywhere, to "more help with this topic" just going to the homepage, to this email that tells me in 6 days I'm going to get gouged.

Ridiculous. TurboTax was great 10 years ago, but this company has really fallen down. I'm not even going to consider Quickbooks, now. It's time to look at TaxCut or H&R Block. I now have to rush finishing my Business just so I can finish my personal and not get bait and switched.

I'm assuming it's not illegal or their attorneys wouldn't let them do it, but it is without question unethical and should be trending on social media shortly. 

rus550

After using Turbotax for years, I will also be looking for alternate filing methods for year 2020 due to this midstream increase.  My notice did not explain how to avoid paying the higher fee if I had to wait before I could file.

Price is determined at the time you pay or file.  In the Online version you can always pay early before the discounted prices expire to lock in the lower price.  The price has been increasing on March 1 for several years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies