turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sweet9722

I have created an onlyfans page and I need to fill out a w9 tax form to begin receiving payments. I’m unsure HOW to answer the questions. Can anyone help?

The questions are asking what is the business name and federal tax classification. Is the business name MY name or onlyfans? Since technically the site is the “middle man” with the money. Th
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

I have created an onlyfans page and I need to fill out a w9 tax form to begin receiving payments. I’m unsure HOW to answer the questions. Can anyone help?

Yes the business name is you and you use your ssn.  Check the first box.  You are an individual sole proprietor.

Yes you are the owner of your own self employment business.  You are in business for yourself.  Use your own info.  The people or company that pays you is your customer or client.  You need to fill out schedule C for self employment business income.  You are considered to have your own business for it.  YOU are the business.

@VolvoGirl wrote:

Yes the business name is you and you use your ssn.  Check the first box.  You are an individual sole proprietor.

Yes you are the owner of your own self employment business.  You are in business for yourself.  Use your own info.  The people or company that pays you is your customer or client.  You need to fill out schedule C for self employment business income.  You are considered to have your own business for it.  YOU are the business.

As a self-employed person, YOU are the business.  

You may not be required to use your actual name.  You may be able to create a "dba" name ("doing business as").  For example, you could be "John Smith d/b/a Smith and Sons Landscaping" or whatever suits you.  How to make a dba name, and if it needs to be registered with the government, is a matter of state law, check your state to see if there are rules if you don't want to use your own name.

You are required to have a Tax ID number.  By default, this is your personal SSN.  However, if you don't want to give out your personal SSN for business reasons, you can get an EIN (employer ID number) from the IRS for free in about 15 minutes.  Then you use the EIN for business and your SSN for personal and only the IRS knows whose EIN belongs to whose SSN.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/how-to-apply-for-an-ein

OnlyFans is required to report to the IRS how much money they pass through to you using your tax number.  OnlyFans will keep the W-9 and use it to set up their tax reporting, they don't send it to anyone else. 

Ali1katt

Hi guys, I recently made an onlyfans (9/1/2020) I made $445.50 so far and I am very confused with their taxes and how to file it (first time filing) this is my main source of income at the moment + Fafsa. I did not get a EIN from onlyfans. I  would like to start filing my quarterly taxes. I know I’m suppose to file a schedule C but what else do I have to file. I’d like to know how much I owe and where do I file it because I don’t think onlyfans sends us the tax forms we need to file. Also my mom claims me as a dependent since I’m in college she’s allowed to, will this ruin her taxes and will she be able to see what I’m filing  .

@Ali1katt You get a tax identification number from the IRS--not from onlyfans.   You can use that Tax ID instead of giving them your Social Security number.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayer-identification-numbers-tin

You say you started this in 2020.   You are self-employed.  You do not file a Schedule C until you prepare a 2020 tax return in 2021.  At this point you have made so little that you probably do not need to worry about paying quarterly taxes.

If you will be claimed as a dependent on your mother's tax return then when you prepare your own tax return you will need to say in My Info that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  If you mess that up--your mother will not be able to e-file her own return if you file first.  Then you will need to explain to her what you have been doing to make some extra money and why you filed a tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/what-is-the-self-employment-tax/00/25922

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2902389-why-am-i-paying-self-employment-tax

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901110-do-i-need-to-make-estimated-tax-payments-to-the-irs

https://www.calcxml.com/calculators/self-employment-tax-calculator     (non-TT site)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901340-where-do-i-enter-schedule-c

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3398950-what-self-employed-expenses-can-i-deduct

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Ali1katt

Hi thank you so much for responding. So I wouldn’t file anything yet until 2021 taxes are due? What would I file as? A schedule c or 1099. Also as for my mom, would it be best for me to file after her? I will remember to include that I can be claimed as a dependent. 

You will file a 2020 return in early 2021.  Not sure that the standards are for onlyfans and whether they will give you a 1099Misc or not, but if you made over $400 of income as an independent contractor you are required to file a tax return and pay self employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.

You will be able to do that on a site called Free File

Try Free File: 

You qualify if your income was $36,000 or less, or $69,000 or less if active duty military, or if you qualify for Earned Income Credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

Free File  becomes available sometime in late January.  Your 2020 tax return will be due by April 15, 2021.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My partner and I have recently started an onlyfans page.  In order to add a bank account they needed both of us to provide a copy of our ID's even though the page is mainly focused around her.  They say because I am part of the content they needed my info too.  Once we got approved they gave us a w9 to fill out and I am curious about line 3.  Do she put Individual or Partnership, and do I also need to fill out a w9?

@judgie0723 wrote:

My partner and I have recently started an onlyfans page.  In order to add a bank account they needed both of us to provide a copy of our ID's even though the page is mainly focused around her.  They say because I am part of the content they needed my info too.  Once we got approved they gave us a w9 to fill out and I am curious about line 3.  Do she put Individual or Partnership, and do I also need to fill out a w9?

When you are in business together with another person, you have a partnership.  Unless there are only two partners who are spouses, the partnership has to file a separate form 1065 partnership tax return that lists all the income and expenses of the partnership.  The 1065 includes a K-1 statement that lists each partner's share of the income and expenses to enter on each partner's personal tax return.   The partnership does not have to be 50/50, the income and expenses can be split any way you prefer, but you may want to have at least a simple agreement in writing that explains each partner's responsibility (duties) in the partnership and how you will divide the ownership of the partnership and its income.

(The word "partner" here refers to a business partner, not a romantic partner, although sometimes they are both.)

The partnership return form 1065 requires a program called Turbotax Business, which is different from Home & Business, and is only available as a download or CD to install on a PC, there is no online or Mac version.  You will still need some version of regular turbotax to prepare your personal tax returns.  The form 1065 deadline is March 15, not April 15, and the late filing penalty is $195 per month per partner.

If you will be filing as a partnership, the partnership needs a single tax ID number called an EIN.  It will be linked to one of you as the "responsible person" (the person who applied for the EIN) but the EIN applies to the partnership and should be used for all partnership-related income.  You can get one online for free here.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/do-you-need-an-ein

You should not be reporting two independent self-employed businesses schedule C.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/partnerships

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-541

However, if the business will only have 1 decision-maker and 1 person who is ultimately in control, that can be a sole proprietorship that is reported on schedule C.  That person would report all the income and expenses.  The owner could pay the other person some of the income as a subcontractor, for services performed.  In that case the owner would list the subcontractor payment as one of their expenses, and the subcontractor would report the income as their own independent business. We ignore the fact that the subcontractor may be in a romantic relationship with the business owner.

In other words, we can think of person 1 being the business owner and content provider, and they hire person #2 as a videographer and technical support person.  In that case, person 1 is the sole owner of the onlyfans business, and person 2 is their subcontractor (not employee--that would create a huge hassle), and they have separate businesses.  However, if it is a true partnership, where responsibility and decision making is shared, then it must file a partnership tax return. 

This also has implications for if the personal relationship ends.  If the business partners are also personally involved and they break up, the partnership is dissolved.  If person 1 goes on to create content with someone else, they form a new business partnership.  If person 1 is solely in control and is a sole proprietor, then person 1 just fires their subcontractor and hires a new one.  

Aneisha28

Hi,

1. I created an onlyfans page as an individual/sole proprietor. I am not using my real name on the onlyfans page, do I have to register my onlyfans username as a business? 

2. Because it is not my real name do I have to put the username I go by on the W9 form?

That W-9 will be used by them to issue you a 1099NEC someday so that they can report your earnings to the IRS.  So, you have to use your actual name on it.  It is a tax document--you do not use a "username" on a tax document.

@Aneisha28 If you do not want to give your Social Security number to them or put it on the W-9 you can get a Tax ID instead.   You get that from the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/individual-taxpayer-identification-number

Aneisha28

Ok So I can use whatever name I want on my onlyfans profile and just put my real name on my W9? 

@Aneisha28 wrote:

Ok So I can use whatever name I want on my onlyfans profile and just put my real name on my W9? 

Correct.  The W-9 must have your real name and SSN; you can run your channel under any nickname you like.

You have the option of getting an EIN for your business activities.  This is a federal Employer Identification Number.  You are required to have one if your business has employees, but anyone running a business has the option of getting an EIN.  If you get an EIN, you put the EIN on your W-9 instead of your own personal SSN.  Some people do this for privacy reasons.  You can get an EIN online in about 15 minutes.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-n...

Lastly, there is a concept called a "d/b/a".  This is a way of registering a business name with the local city or county or state government.  d/b/a means "doing business as", so it might be John Smith d/b/a Smith Excellent House Painters, for example.  The d/b/a gives the business protection (no one can copy the name) and it gives the consumer protection (the consumer can look up who the real person is who runs the business).  This is a local issue and has nothing to do with taxes.  For taxes, the painting business would be reported on John Smith's tax return and using his own SSN or his EIN if he got one.  

We can't tell you if a d/b/a is required in your local area, or how to get one.  You would have to research that locally.  I suspect OF creators rarely register d/b/a's, and I only mention it to help you understand why businesses sometimes register but also why the IRS goes by your real name regardless of what you call yourself.

Aneisha28

Thank you very much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies