turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have been travel nursing since last year at the same facility. I receive a stipend. How does this effect my tax situation. I took 5 was off betw 2nd and 3rd contract

I want to take off 2 weeks and resign but it will put me past a year at the same facility excluding the 5 weeks off in the spring and two weeks off before the next contract.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I have been travel nursing since last year at the same facility. I receive a stipend. How does this effect my tax situation. I took 5 was off betw 2nd and 3rd contract

Not sure what you're asking or what "exactly" type of information you are seeking.

I receive a stipend. How does this effect my tax situation.

Can't really say. Are you a W-2 employee? If so, for what purpose/reason do you receive a "stipend"? Who or what entity pays you that stipend? Why are you paid a stipend?

I took 5 was off betw 2nd and 3rd contract

I assume "was" should read "weeks".  Why does this matter?

I want to take off 2 weeks and resign but it will put me past a year at the same facility excluding the 5 weeks off in the spring and two weeks off before the next contract.

And?  Basically, I just don't understand the relevance of this as it relates to taxes.

Please explain in more detail what you are trying to do and why you think the time off affects your tax.   You pay tax on the income you received during the tax year.  The IRS only cares about the total amount of income you received during the tax year, so whether you took several weeks off during the year, or resign before the year ends has no effect on the amount of taxable income you enter on your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

W-2 employees may not longer (since 2018) deduct out-of-town traveling expenses.  If "stipend" mean you are receiving self employment income then a self employed person can deduct living expenses, and travel, while out-of-town, on a temporary assignement. Temporary means exepected to last (and actually does last) less than one year.

The question appears to be "are each of these 'contracts' separate 'temporary' jobs.  That sounds iffy and may depend on more detail. So, maybe yes.  For example, you "resign" W-2 jobs, not self employment.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies