turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have an EIN, but I don't really use it for business purposes. I have a sole proprietor LLC & my 1099's are under my SSN. Is it OK to use SSN instead of EIN?

The Turbo Tax interview asks me "do you have an EIN?" My answer is YES but I think it makes more sense to use SSN under the circumstances. Will answering NO trigger any problems for me?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I have an EIN, but I don't really use it for business purposes. I have a sole proprietor LLC & my 1099's are under my SSN. Is it OK to use SSN instead of EIN?

If the EIN is tied to the LLC that you are reporting on the Schedule C, then you should include it with your return. 

If the Schedule C is for another business, other than the LLC, then it is acceptable to use only your Social Security number.  

@mike-hisle-yahoo

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why did you get an EIN?  You really only need one if you pay employees.  Or if you don't want to give out your ssn.  Why is your ssn on the 1099Misc and not the EIN?  Did you set up your LLC as an S corp?

Carl
Level 15

Just a friendly recommendation here.

I have an EIN, but I don't really use it for business purposes

Why not? There's no reason to not use an EIN with your sole proprietorship. Under no circumstances will I give my business clients by SSN. There are no exceptions. They get my EIN or can take their business elsewhere.

When it comes to EINs and SSNs, since only the IRS issues the EIN, then only you and the IRS know what SSN that EIN is tied to.

If your SSN is "abused" either by a client or someone who stole your information from that client, they can destroy your entire life. Whereas if the EIN is misused, it only affects the business, and that's it. Much easher to deal with a stolen/misused EIN than it is with a stolen SSN.

With your SSN, your entire identity can be hijacked. But with an EIN, if you get indications it's being mis-used you can cancel that EIN with the IRS and the state, and get a new EIN from the IRS and register it with the state, all in the same day. Things aren't that simple or easy when your SSN is abused.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies