Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 2023 turbotax deluxe CD. If i want to share it with a family member, how do i prevent that member from viewing my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I have a 2023 turbotax deluxe CD. If i want to share it with a family member, how do i prevent that member from viewing my tax return?

When you use the CD/download, your tax return is only stored on your own hard drive.  It is not online and cannot be seen by anyone else.   If you are using the same computer that will be used by others, then password protect--encrypt--your tax return and then no one can get to it on your hard drive either---except you.   You will of course remember your own password or make a note of it somewhere safe so you do not lose access to your own return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You are not suppose to share it.  You can install it on 5 computers you own.  Your return is only saved on your computer and no one else can see it.  It is not stored in your online account.  It is not saved to the CD.  

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Be sure you start a new return in TurboTax when you switch to another taxpayer. This will prevent the loss of your own tax information.

@tjssrops-gmail-c 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Short answer: When using the program installed on your own computer from a CD or download, each tax return is a separate file, like having separate word processor documents.  The files are not shared between computers and are not backed up to the cloud.  Only you have copies, no one can see your data unless you share the file.

Long answer: The turbotax license technically allows you to install the program on up to 5 computers that you own, not 5 computers owned by other family members.  When you install it the first time, the license key will be linked to your online Turbotax account.  The only way someone else can install a copy using the same license key is to have your online password.  That will allow them to see any data you saved online.  That might include forum posts like this, and your purchase history.  It might include old tax returns if you previously used Turbotax online to file your returns, but it won't include 2023 returns for the reason mentioned above.  And just because you can work around the installer issue by sharing your password, doesn't make it correct. 

Are you saying the one I bought from Costco cannot be used by others other than me?

In the past, my cousins can use and it was limited to 3 separate accounts.  Did it change ? Saying for 5 computers is a trick of the trade, need a class action lawsuit period!

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

As @Opus 17 noted in an earlier response in this thread, the license technically allows you to install the program on up to 5 computers that you own, not 5 computers owned by other family members. When you install it the first time, the license key will be linked to your online Turbotax account.  This has not changed.

You can review the entire TurboTax Desktop end-user license agreement here.

In addition to the license to Software in the Section A Terms, you agree that you may only: (i) install and use a copy of the Software on up to five (5) computers owned by you (at home or at work); (ii) use the Software only to prepare, print and/or electronically file your own federal 2023 tax year returns and related 2023 state tax returns; and (iii) make one backup copy of the Software for your own personal use as permitted under this license grant. 

Also, the IRS imposes a limit of 5 e-files from the same sender. The Software imposes a limit of 3 state e-files per Federal return.

Multiple returns can still be prepared on the same device as well.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@SLYKTAX wrote:

Are you saying the one I bought from Costco cannot be used by others other than me?

In the past, my cousins can use and it was limited to 3 separate accounts.  Did it change ? Saying for 5 computers is a trick of the trade, need a class action lawsuit period!

The license always said that the program could be installed on 5 computers that you owned.  It never said you could share the program with other people.  This year, Turbotax added an additional verification step to make it harder to share the program, but the actual terms never changed.  

Why don't TT said you can install on unlimited number of PCs.

@SLYKTAX wrote:

Why don't TT said you can install on unlimited number of PCs.

Post a link that states you can install TurboTax on an unlimited number of PC's.  You will not find that link since it does not exist.

What you can do with the software is create, complete and file an unlimited number of tax returns using the software that was installed on a personal computer that you own.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies