turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

samet1510

I got a virus which was interfering with my search engines and had to reset my Windows, lost turboTax program so can't get into my old returns

Not much else to say, when I reset windows, I lost TurboTax and I need to reinstall so I can access my old returns?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I got a virus which was interfering with my search engines and had to reset my Windows, lost turboTax program so can't get into my old returns

@samet1510 wrote:
Not much else to say, when I reset windows, I lost TurboTax and I need to reinstall so I can access my old returns?

This is problematic because reinstalling TurboTax will not have the effect of restoring your tax return files (e.g., .tax2019, .tax2018). 

If you did not save your tax return files to another medium, such as a flash drive, then they are most likely gone and perhaps forever. The only chance of recovering them would be to use a data recovery service or use data recovery software yourself. 

Note that, with installed (desktop) versions of TurboTax, Intuit would not have a copy of your tax files.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@samet1510 wrote:

This is problematic because reinstalling TurboTax will not have the effect of restoring your tax return files (e.g., .tax2019, .tax2018). 

If you did not save your tax return files to another medium, such as a flash drive, then they are most likely gone and perhaps forever. The only chance of recovering them would be to use a data recovery service or use data recovery software yourself. 

Note that, with installed (desktop) versions of TurboTax, Intuit would not have a copy of your tax files.

If you used desktop software downloaded/installed from a CD to your own computer, then the tax files are stored locally on your own hard drive or any backup device you used like a flash drive.  They are not stored online.  If you cannot recover them due to a hard drive failure, etc. you can get a free transcript from the IRS or for a fee of $50, an actual copy of the return.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Or you can pay the IRS $50 for an actual copy of your tax return which will include copies of your W-2’s     

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

Contact your state for copies of previous state returns.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901670-how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Your tax returns are stored in document files with names like "John Smith 2019.tax2019", 2018, 2017, etc. (although the filename extension may be hidden depending on your system settings.)  When you use the desktop version of Turbotax, only you have the tax documents, they are not backed up with Turbotax, and you are responsible for your own backups and security.

To re-install Turbotax, you need access to the installers.  If you bought the program on CD, re-install from the CD.  If you bought a download, check with the vendor to see if you can download a new installer.  Turbotax allows unlimited download attempts from your online account.  Once you install the base program, you will need to update it and reinstall the state modules you used.  They should also be accessible from your Tax account if you log into Turbotax online and go to your list of prior purchases.  Turbotax only supports the program for three years, so you probably won't be able to reinstall or update 2016 and older.

You can get copies of older returns from the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

If you saved your tax returns as PDFs (and not just as tax return documents) then of course the PDFs can be viewed on any computer with a PDF viewer program installed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies