turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed in 2020 only to get my stimulus refund, I had earned income. I failed to check box stating I can be claimed on another's return. My brother who usually claims

{correction in info above...should read I had NO earned income} me for EIC had his return rejected.  I must now amend.  How do I amend (I filed electronically) and remove myself from my own return? My info is already in my original return.  I used Turbo Tax to file.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I filed in 2020 only to get my stimulus refund, I had earned income. I failed to check box stating I can be claimed on another's return. My brother who usually claims

Go to the following link for instructions to amend a 2020 tax return that you filed with TurboTax.

How do I amend my 2020 return?

When you make the changes for the amended return, all you have to do is check the box that says someone else can claim you.

It normally takes the IRS 16 weeks to process an amended return. But they are severely backlogged this year, so expect it to take much longer than that.

Don't file the amended return until you have received the refund from your original return.

However, even after you file your amended return, your brother will not be able to e-file his 2020 tax return. He will have to print his tax return, sign it, and file it by mail.

If you filed your return to get the stimulus payment you will have to give it back since dependents are not allowed to get the any of the stimulus payments.   

@Critter-3  Good catch!

Sir or Madam:

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.  It was my understanding that the law was changed under the Cares Act to allow adult dependents to receive the stimulus payments.  This is one of the reasons for the Recovery Rebate Credit, to allow disabled adult dependents to receive the stimulus, correct?  In this scenario I can keep my stimulus and my brother can receive the EIC he has been receiving for me for years .  .    It seems counterintuitive and counterproductive that the law would force the return of the previously received stimulus because  I am declaring that I am not claiming myself on my own return.  Also, is not the IRS allowing for 2019/2020 Amended returns to be filed electronically  for the first time?  I realize that in the past this was a paper only action. 

Please give these points some thought as I depend upon Turbo Tax Chat to be knowledgeable and correct.  

Again, 

Thank you

The third stimulus payment included adult dependents but not the first 2 so if you filed just to get the stimulus credit of $1800 based on you NOT being a dependent and then you amend the return to say  you ARE  a dependent  so that your family member can now get to take the $500 other dependent credit + the EIC + the third stimulus again then that is definitely  tax fraud if you do not return the $1800 + $1400 that you were not entitled to begin with.

Doing this is nothing less than "scamming" the system.

One of those "you cannot have your cake and eat it too" scenarios.  

You should have discussed this with the person who normally claims you before you filed so amending would not be required. 

So the bottom line is are you a dependent or not?  If you are you must amend to make the return correct. 

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.
  • They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.
  • They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children
  •       They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4300  (not counting Social Security)
  • You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

• Does a dependent have to live with me?

• What does "financially support another person" mean?

• Can I claim a newborn baby?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies