Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't realize that I used Turbotax online for 2022 and bought the desktop version for 2023. Can I switch to online?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

I didn't realize that I used Turbotax online for 2022 and bought the desktop version for 2023. Can I switch to online?

Please see this TurboTax FAQ: How do I switch from TurboTax Online to TurboTax Desktop?

Please see this TurboTax FAQ: How do I switch from TurboTax Desktop to TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

HI,

Thanks much, much it looks like although you can go from online to desktop, you cannot take the current year you have started in desktop and go to online. Note to self for next year!

You can transfer from 2022 Online into the Desktop program to start 2023.  But you would have to start over in a new Desktop return.  Go up to File-New.

If you used the online version last year and need to transfer your info to this year's Desktop version there are 2 ways depending on what you have.

1.  If you saved the actual .tax2022 file (not just the pdf file) to your computer before online was shut down in Oct. then start a new return  and the very first thing you do is Transfer from .tax file.  You can only transfer at the very beginning.  You should be able to download the .tax  file from Online.  See this to download the .tax data file, the second section - I need my tax data file so I can amend.  Then the last section If you still want to download your .tax file

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

2.  If you didn't save the .tax  file to your computer or lost it,  there is a way to do it by starting a new current return in the Online version, transfer to that and then continue in the desktop version.  You won't have to pay for Online.   

First transfer into the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

Then to switch to the Desktop program

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

Here's how to transfer last year's return to Windows Desktop program

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-fo...

How to transfer into Turbo Tax for Mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-the-t...

Thank you, but the issue is I purchased the Turbo desktop version for 2023 and started my return. I wish INSTEAD to do my 2023 return online, but apparently you cannot transfer an incomplete 2023 return from desktop to online. (I'm finding the steps in the desktop version not as clear cut as the online version in 22)

@kkjones You cannot move a 2023 tax return from the desktop software into online TurboTax for 2023.     And you cannot pay for online software using the license code for the CD/download.    The pricing is structured very differently for online.    

So ....if for whatever reason you do not want to use desktop for 2023, return it to the retailer where you purchased it and try to get a refund.   You have to pay the online fee when you use online TT.   You can pay with a credit or debit card, or make the more costly choice of paying TT from your federal refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you purchased the desktop software from TurboTax:

To request a refund from TT ;  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you--good to know, but I purchased it from Costco. I'll just live with it for this year I guess!

If you try desktop software you will probably never want to go back to using online.  

Yes the Desktop should be easier to use and has more features like seeing the actual forms.  You can do more than 1 return.  So you could copy your return to test in.  And there  is a What-If worksheet.  And you can use a lower version because all the Desktop versions have ALL the same forms. You just get more help in the higher versions. In online you have to upgrade to enter certain kinds of income. Like Premium for investments.

But the returns are only saved on your computer and can not be accessed from anywhere else. And not saved at Turbo Tax. So Be sure to save Frequently and make backups.  You will need the .tax2023 file to transfer into next year.  

Great advice, and thank you for taking the time to add clarity.

flossy

I have made two calls and read through numerous articles and have discovered, although the helpline says it is possible to convert from desktop to online, it cannot be accomplished. I am trying to complete my 93 year old mother's taxes. She lives a distance from me and it would be so much easier to finish her taxes on my laptop from home instead of her desktop. Tax season is frustrating enough without a program I paid for making it harder.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You can install your desktop program on up to 5 computers with the license you purchased.  If you put it on your laptop you can even move the file you've already started from her desktop and finish it on your laptop no problem.

@flossy 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies